Insurance for an unoccupied property

IronMike

Hi 

Coming towards the end of a build, but the property is yet to be registered with the Royal Mail. 

Want to insure the property, but as property not formally registered, seems difficult to insure. 

Gallaghers did not offer to insure. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Cheers 

Mine is not and probably never will be on the Postcode Address File (long story) but is on every other address database you care to mention.

I insured ours before it was complete, when we only had a certificate of temporary habitation and I used this company on a recommendation from this forum for being flexible.  https://gsi-insurance.com/

• Thanks 1

Can you not extend the build insurance ?  We had to do this monthly for a few months until we got a completion certificate [not cheap though] , and once we had one we could get normal household insurance, and then we moved our official place of residence to the new house, ensuring its was never unoccupied for the terms of the insurance, and left our son as sole occupant on the old house.

Edited by Blooda
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 05/04/2023 at 09:04, Adsibob said:

I'm now at the stage at renweing my insurance and the above company could not insure me due to not having wiring or plumbing!? I did explain that I was a self-build, which has to start somewhere. 

Any reccomendations?

On 04/04/2023 at 23:22, IronMike said:

Coming towards the end of a build, but the property is yet to be registered with the Royal Mail

Get the address registered, contact local council, full in form, pay the fee. It took me 4 days from start to finish. Post office gets informed by the council.

You don't have to be finished the build to register the address, did mine prior to house even being there, so it was easy to get things delivered. Council tax people came looking a year later, said I was living in site caravan, pay council tax on that, everyone happy.