Capping for 10mil wire

Hi All,

I am in the process of installing an electric shower but I have to run a 10mil cable from the consumer unit to upstairs bedroom then along the wall to the loft and from there to run it to the bathroom.
Where or can I get a capping for a 10mil cable? By capping I mean this plastic cover thing that goes over the wire.
I am going to chisel away some plaster to make space for this wire but I think I need to further protect it from accidental drill damage or nails.

Please advise.

Top hat capping is not to provide any protection against people drilling into it.  It is just something to hold it in place to make it easier to plaster over.

You must route the cable in safe zones, so in theory at least people know a cable might be there and avoid drilling into it.  You talk of running it horizontally (along the wall) hints that you are not aware of safe zones.

A much better route up to a loft is up through a cupboard or built in wardrobe where it can be run in conduit like @SteamyTea post above without being an eyesore.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

But then I have allergies to anything that is non metallic and moves.

Perenial Allergic Rhinitis.

Had a friend who had it: she said it protected her from hayfever. Cold water swimming sorted it out almost instantly (week or so)

28 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Cold water swimming sorted it out almost instantly

I get all the physiological benefits of cold water swimming (which is just swimming really) from a hot bath.

The only difference is that I don't park my car like a complete (expletive deleted).

I was driving past Abbey Slip at about 9PM the other night, some bloke was just finishing his swim, car parked over two occupied parking spaces, which also reduced the road to a single lane.

Swimmers down here are a menace.

1 minute ago, ToughButterCup said:

Maybe it was the purity of the water that counts?

After last night's storm, I would think all our beaches are out of bounds.

Last week's comic mentioned Cornwall a lot, especially St. Agnes.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg25734311-000-the-state-of-britains-rivers-slurry-silage-and-sewage

On 31/03/2023 at 08:12, ProDave said:

Top hat capping is not to provide any protection against people drilling into it.  It is just something to hold it in place to make it easier to plaster over.

You must route the cable in safe zones, so in theory at least people know a cable might be there and avoid drilling into it.  You talk of running it horizontally (along the wall) hints that you are not aware of safe zones.

A much better route up to a loft is up through a cupboard or built in wardrobe where it can be run in conduit like @SteamyTea post above without being an eyesore.

wire.thumb.jpg.85c633422690402744c18455b55d97dc.jpg

not horizontally but straight up. I wish there were some conduits or cupboards but there is none. I mark it on the skirting and on the ceiling. I don't know

I get some uT reading around 1/3 distance from the floor which tells me there could be some wire in there but I does not go vertically or horizontally anywhere just a spot closer to the corner. There are no sockets in the loft so the it could only be some cable for lighting.

Perhaps I will have to resort to using trunking.

Edited by JohnBishop