Ok, probably mad but gotta ask reading about A2A, would it work in a 194m2 house instead of mvhr and ASHP?

The house will be block built have 150mm floor insulation and 200mm eps fill in walls, block build with triple glazing, air tight, wet plaster. 

The architect has planned underfloor heating, MVHR and ASHP but I was reading about the Daikin Multi + possibly with a battery to store off peak.

Is that bonkers? Tbh trying to cut costs, got a plumbing quote for 22k.

We are using  MVHR, A2A (Part Warm heating, Part Split ACs) and Direct electric Hot water. We still haven't finished renovation but It should work. If you have loft then a ducted unit is also possible instead of lots of wall units. 

Get a price for 300mm EPS for the floor. Shouldn't be much in it cost wise. It's a cheap place to add insulation and the UFH pipes will be the hottest thing in the building, hence loosing the most heat, important to have them well insulated. 

That plumbing quote sounds bananas. How large is the house? 

Lots of us have done our own, I did after the plumber made a mess of it. The Hep2O parts and a 300l direct UVC were about €2000. 

Add UFH for the ground floor and provision for a future ASHP and the total for parts would be still less than 4k. Then source an ASHP yourself. Reasonable monoblocks come up on eBay for about £2k regularly enough. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too would stick with the MVHR and ASHP (air to water) which your architect specified. That way with the MVHR you get your controlled ventilation, required for when you're airtight, and with the air to water ASHP you get to heat all your hot water as well as space heating. We are a block build and have an MVHR and ASHP and it all works really well and is quite cheap to run. 

Edited by mattman
  • Like 1