Is my trap big enough?

Wondered folks thoughts on this before I go beyond point of no return. Bath is free standing stone,  but on a raised area so have room below and arm access to connect. Is this trap going to be up to the job? Or should I fit a conventional one?  It'll be a wee bit more tricky but should manage it. This one looks a bit puny and not sure if it'll drain quick enough? 

If I fit a conventional should it just be a p trap since I won't have access to a bottle? 

DSC_2574.JPG

I have just brought a trap for a shower from a British company called mcalpine have a look on the web, I didn't know so many existed. 

Have you seen a trap that is fitted from above rather than below? 

I had one on a previous bath it fits to a flexible pipe like you have you hold it in position on the floor with a bit of tape to hold it in place then put the bath in position and reach through the hole in the bath with a supplied hook thingy lift into position and drop the stainless grill on and put a stainless screw in, it pulls it up tight under the bath so you don't go under it at all. 

I think they are designed for built in units with no actual access underneath. 

If there's room for a full depth trap then I'd swap it out now tbh. That trap is a compact under slung trap for dog leg baths, ( where the pipework can be seen from underneath ), but, iirc, your bath sits flat on the floor ? If so you simply don't need that one and can return it for a credit hopefully.

Youll already ( ? ) have the waste outlet I assume so this is only a matter of which trap to fit, so I'd go for a nice robust trap like this one and fit'n'forget ;)

A problem with that trap is it only has a very small seal. You would have to disconnect and block it off to pressure test the pipework.

I had this argument with building control on my last house. the final pressure test I could only pump it up to 75mm, not the required 100mm. At that point it started blowing bubbles through the shower traps. BC tried to insist I disconnect and cap off the shower traps for the test but I refused as that would have meant ceiling down. In the end he accepted the test. But that trap looks a lot less than 75mm seal even?

I used a McAlpine trap but it was tight to be able to undo the bottle so I cut the pear drop shape so you can get your hand / knuckles in.

SAM_4839

My trap is 40mm the short distance through the flexi pipe then goes to 50mm all the way out.

20161219_221417

So glad I sunk the bath so the bath is level with the floor as you step in and out. Still got 150mm PIR + 25mm EPS under the bath, just replaced 100mm of concrete with the sunken ply box.

I did consider this and I could have done it in theory but would have been very tricky as I have basin,  shower and washing machine all terminating in the one soil pipe - which isn't quite I'm the right place - I don't think I could manage it neatly, and would still require/want the shower area raised. If I put the bath on floor I couldn't fit the floor mounted  tap or uplights... Next by time... Lol

Pic of a trial fit. Before you say anything - the inset on wall to be remade to centre on bath!  You can see my awkward soil pop-up on left - with AAV this is too high so will be building that bit out to level on basin - no hardship as provides place for Bath smellies etc... 

DSC_2552.JPG