Hello - New to Hub and first time self builder using a kit

Hello!!!  My name is Colette and I am a complete novice re self new builds. We have a plot in St Cyrus, Aberdeenshire and now have full planning permission, architect plans, building warrent etc. We have selected to use an adapted kit build and make it disabled friendly.  It’s been an uphill struggle to get this far and we are now putting the job out to tender.   My question here, of which I’m sure there will be more, is… we’ve had a quote of £2500 per m2, and on questioning the price, the contractor admitted he hadn’t taken into account the full list of kit contents….. such as all windows, doors, flooring, roofing, insulation etc etc etc.   So, assuming he reverts back with £xxxm2. My question is, what is a reasonable/average price £xx m2 for a contractor to quote when all component of the build, are provided to  make it wind and water tight???

Many thanks …. And if anyone knows of any disabled new build grants or benefits, please let me know. 

thanks!!

Congratulations and welcome. 

It'll be good to get some insight on building a useable house for disabled people. 

Pics and plans always appreciated for us nosey types. Please  blank your name and address from any uploads. 

What does the kit include? An itemised list would give people a good idea of what costs are reasonable 

• Like 1

Welcome to THE forum for people like us!

£2.5K per m2 seems not an unreasonable figure for a mid range finish in your part of the world, so it should only go up a lot if you are going for a high end finish or you have some difficult features. Its a kit after all. How have you structured the contract - do they purchase the kit or do you do that direct and they set it up? 

1 hour ago, Bonner said:

Just to clarify in case there are different interpretations here, £2.5k/m2 is reasonable for a finished house, for a weather tight shell it is a bit steep.

Quite. Our weather tight cost including 3G windows, insulation, external and internal membranes, kit build, delivery and machine hire is £755/m and that’s quite dear. 

Edited by Kelvin

Welcome. Can i suggest restarting your presence with an alias? All discussion here is public ( googling terms will expose all discussion to the world.) Your tendering builders could read it all. Burglers could see the best time to visit. Planning strategy exposed to the world.

Those reading now will forget.

The good news is that disabled friendly access and minimum room sizes  are standard in the Scottish regs, so won't cause panic or cost.

Hello, as the crow flies you're about 10 miles from us. It sounds like you may be using a Scotframe kit or similar. 

I worked out recently that we did our house and garage for £1,800 per m2 all in. So that includes the kit, the build costs and fees but not the plot.

On 27/03/2023 at 05:58, MikeSharp01 said:

Welcome to THE forum for people like us!

£2.5K per m2 seems not an unreasonable figure for a mid range finish in your part of the world, so it should only go up a lot if you are going for a high end finish or you have some difficult features. Its a kit after all. How have you structured the contract - do they purchase the kit or do you do that direct and they set it up? 

Hi. We are purchasing the kit which has all doors, windows, joust, insulation, internal walls etc etc. The kit basically includes every nut n bolt to erect s wind and watertight house. No electrics. water, sewage etc. I just thought £2.5k was a lot to build and then do all internal stuff

On 27/03/2023 at 09:41, Ralph said:

Hello, as the crow flies you're about 10 miles from us. It sounds like you may be using a Scotframe kit or similar. 

I worked out recently that we did our house and garage for £1,800 per m2 all in. So that includes the kit, the build costs and fees but not the plot.

Haha I am also including my garage in the total cost because it’s very big and not that expensive for an insulated building so brings my £/mdown 😂 

1 hour ago, Colette Strachan said:

Hi Ralph. Yes it’s is Scotframe. When did you build and who did you use??

We broke ground just before first lockdown and moved in 10 months ago. We also had a Scotframe kit. Our builder went bust before we finished, not a great experience so no one I can recommend really. A pal is using Aaron Robertson from Brechin who seems good. We used Cerretti from Gourdon for electrics, good guys.

29 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Haha I am also including my garage in the total cost because it’s very big and not that expensive for an insulated building so brings my £/mdown 😂 

Ours is not big but it's pretty much built to the same spec as the house, insulated, standing seam roof etc. If I was being 100% honest I might include all the money we spent on fees for the first design and plans we had but it's too depressing😀

• Like 1

On 27/03/2023 at 06:48, Bonner said:

Just to clarify in case there are different interpretations here, £2.5k/m2 is reasonable for a finished house, for a weather tight shell it is a bit steep.

Yes I agree…. I did read somewhere that a charge of £750m2 was a high end price for a builder to purely erect the Kit. Certainly that’s more my thinking - the complete Kit, is a shell, an empty box with windows, doors, plasterboard rooms and a roof. Nothing else.  I’m also told a kit is a jigsaw puzzle that can be put together in a few days.  A HOME/newBUILD… takes much much longer 

On 29/03/2023 at 19:34, Ralph said:

We broke ground just before first lockdown and moved in 10 months ago. We also had a Scotframe kit. Our builder went bust before we finished, not a great experience so no one I can recommend really. A pal is using Aaron Robertson from Brechin who seems good. We used Cerretti from Gourdon for electrics, good guys.

12 hours ago, Colette Strachan said:

Oh dear, that sounds painful!!  Sadly there’s bound to be things like you experienced unquantified in our costs/plans. My hope is to survive the process …. and love and enjoy the results. I hope you are ‘there’ now. 

It's was definitely a journey and we still have stuff to do but it has been worth it. This forum has been a massive help and not just as a technical resource. No matter what's happened someone on here will have been through it.

I know St Cyrus well, it's a cracking part of the world