Future proof for FTTP cabling?

Yet another clanger dropped.....arranged plant room for a BT broadband socket to be in the centre of a wall, next to the AV hub. All AV/network is prewired for it. Annoying, we then forgot to run a ducting to this location to enable a broadband cabling to be pulled through, outside to inside of room. Floor was concreted on Friday & so no more easy ducting runs. :(

I am hoping to speak to builder on Monday to chase the the external wall (will be rendered) and run a ducting up the chase/cavity a 300-500mm, then into the room & along the wall behind cylinder/plumbing to reach this 'broad band'' point.

However, whatever we do it the ducting/ease of using it is going to be compromised. As a result I want to try and get as much cabling in now before the cylinder etc goes in to block it off.

As a result, does anyone know the cabling I should pre-run into the ducting before we bodge it in? Ideally for current copper but also FTTP.

Many thanks,

Thanks, though not sure I follow your point... As in you can't join "my" preinstalled fibre to their fibre at the base of the pole my current location of will come off? (for the day FTTP arrives at our village) 

having had a recent chat on site with one of their surveyors, they generally put a splice point on a external wall connecting the drop wire from the pole to a lighter "internal" fibre that can be passed through your pre-existing trunking to your chosen termination point. Bear in mind that the tech that does the pole joint may not be the same one that does an indoor install.

the internal fibre, which is pre-terminated, will slide happily down a 20mm conduit

Thanks, so they would want to install a connecting box on the external wall, that we spur into? They wouldn't fit that main spir onto an internal wall, from your experience with that chat? 

• 6 months later...

I have a question about how the Openreach instal is done and how flexible they are? We are building a passive house and the duct I intended to have the fibre cable pulled through may now have to be used for multiple CAT cables for various reasons. So I am wondering if there is anything to stop me using another pre-installed duct that is intended for a power cable for a possible (future) powered gate and share the duct by threading the fibre optic alongside the power cable? I assume that fibre optic doesn't get any interference from electrical cables? Any other reason this would not work? thanks

Openreach are flexible, so using an existing duct shouldn't be a problem. That's what they did with mine, even dug a hole in the middle of a field as their rods weren't long enough to fish it through in one go. 

They also routed the ONT to my Node zero point, centrally in the house, unlike their website which states it has to be on the inside of an external walk.

It took a few visits, but they did a good install in the end. 

Edited by IanR

My village is currently getting wired for fibre, lots of coils of fibre at existing telegraph poles, temp road closures for underground chamber works in roads

I assume the fibre is overhead like the copper cable slung in the air fixed to the building and then entering into the property.

what sort of size is the BT fibre box, does it work with existing BT Routers, or do they need replaced too?

cheers

The Fibre is overhead in my road, but for me it drops underground from the closest telegraph pole and then crosses a field in my duct and up into the house.

The ONT box that terminates the fibre is roughly 100x100x20, and does need power. You'll need a new router, connected to the ONT with an Ethernet cable. The main providers will supply the router with a new connection. Mine didn't, so I use a Ubiquity EdgeRouter X

https://www.netxl.com/network-routers/ubiquiti-edgemax-edgerouter-x-router/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=feed_click&utm_content=surfaces_across_google&gclid=CjwKCAjwkNOpBhBEEiwAb3MvvcIdPhzpxKESCAg8miSEVS1Odc1QhIfic9KuCVMScgeLWO5UL7PFzBoC4aoQAvD_BwE

If you do supply your own router make sure it can through put the bandwidth you want. The ER-X for example will through-put 1Gb/s, but oddly not on its default settings and needs a couple of tweaks to get the most out of the connection.