Self Build in Inverness-shire: Hello

Dunc

Hello Wonderful Forum!

My wife and I have just had an offer accepted a plot for a self build in Inverness-shire. First time self builders. Gulp!

I've already spent more time than might be considered healthy browsing through the vast quantities of information here and am simultaneously terrified by it and loving it....I suspect once we start paying bills it may tilt more towards the terrifying 😁.

Ideally we'd like to build something to Passive standards, perhaps timber frame, warmcell (or other non-petrochemical insulation), and timber clad. Traditional long-house style appeals...hoping to contract TF company to wind & watertight then project manage the rest myself.

Currently looking for an architect and trying to get our heads around budget. Any recommendations for professionals and trades in the Inverness area will be very welcome.

Dunc.

Hi and welcome.  You are in good company, lots of self builders not far from you (I am 20 miles north of Inverness)

We moved up here from England 20 years ago, into a static caravan to start our first self build.  Then did it all again completing our second self build just over a year ago.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm just up the road a bit further east by Elgin.

If your going passivhaus standards, look at form factor, makes a big difference to the insulation levels you need achieve.  So a bit more to read up on.

I also moved from England in the 90s.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 18:30, saveasteading said:

Our project is Nairnish. Invernesshire is huge, so a little more idea of location? NSEW? Mountain high or coast? Etc.

Stratherrick, to the southeast of Loch Ness, squeezed in between all the wind farms! Can't currenlty see any turbines, but I suspect that will change as more are added.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome. Perthshire here. JML SIPs has a good reputation who I think are up your way. 

Can you hear the turbines? We have 3 turbines 1.75km north of us and surprisingly very occasionally can hear them. It needs to be windy enough to get them spinning but still enough to hear it. 

The 'Road to Errogie' and beyond . 

I spoke to a prospective builder who regarded Aviemore sort of area as the centre of everything. He worked there, and around inverness and to Skye.

Very impressed with him, but does whole packages only whereas we didn't need and couldn't afford that.

Most want to be within 40 minutes of home though, and that reaches Inverness.

Architect was in the family so I can't help there.

• Like 1

I've not noticed any noise during  the 4 site visits we've made. The nearest farm is just obsucred by a hill opposite, but a good mile or more away so presumably provides some sound insulation. Perhaps if the wind direction changes or speed increases...I hadn't thought of that, but it's too late now! 😆

Will look in to JML, thanks. I was looking at HH, but based on your posts, they're now lower down the list.