Bioethanol Fires

Ralph

I suspect you’re asking about a built in fire?

We have a small portable 2kW one. It sits on the coffee table during the winter months and gets put away in a cupboard for the rest of the year. 

It’s been lit probably half a dozen times in 18 months and we let it burn for 20-30 mins. It satisfies the urge to see real flame and bumps the room temperature up a notch two.

It does exactly what a small electric fan heater would do but it cost more money however you do get more flames!

05AEBD50-AE4F-416C-B0D6-1EBFD00ABD1F.thumb.jpeg.d2651ff2e1fd32f446d0465522a65adb.jpeg

Edited by Russdl
  • Thanks 1

Love 'em! We've got 4 in the house and they are great on those cold nights when you want to feel cosy in front of a fire! 3 of the ones have a slider on the fore box and this lets you control the burn down - usually we let it go ful for ten mins then bring the flame down and it'll burn a liters for many hours. 

Also handy for emergencies as we are 100% electric, but haven't had to use in this situation yet. 

Our original plans were for WBS but these are much better. I posted pics on another thread somewhere a few years ago. 

• Thanks 1

We are all electric as well which is one reason we were looking at a WBS. However the stove idea is becoming more and more complicated with the standing seam, cedral cladding, external flue etc.

I've been thinking about an electric fire downstairs within a media wall and a bioethanol in the upstairs living room. Mainly just to supplement the ASHP and have a bit of a focal point. My concern about the electric is that it might look naff and the concern about the bioethanol is that it won't give out much heat and is expensive. 

39 minutes ago, Jilly said:

I've wondered about bioethanol too, instead of a WBS, especially for outages.  Is the water vapour given off an issue?

From what I understand the water vapour given off is minimal, it's not like it is enough to condense or anything.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

From what I understand the water vapour given off is minimal, it's not like it is enough to condense or anything.

C2H5OH + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O

1 more water molecule than methane.

1 less than propane.

If you really want to cause damage, burn butane.

Twice as much CO2 and 2.5 time more water.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1