Solar PV and hot Water Diverter - Advice

bob the builder 2

Hi All

I am just about to press the button and order a 10kwh solar set up

The cost of batteries and fancy inverter are making me think that a hot water diverter and simple inverter might be a better investment.

I have been quoted for an ERS mini ( E.R.S Mini 3kW Solar Power Diverter | PowerFlow (powerflowenergy.com)  which will connect to the immersion about 2 3rds up the tank

As i am on a 3 phase and the tank immersion is limited to 2kw per phase i am ging forced to buy three of the diverters

Would appreciate any advice 

Bob 

with 

54 minutes ago, bob the builder 2 said:

10kwh

That will be 10 kWp, the peak is for peak.

I take it the system is going to be 3 phase and that is why you have 3, 2 kW immersion heaters in your cylinder.

I don't know too much about 3 phase systems, but depending on your meter, it may do net metering and you could divert just on one phase and let the other phases export, but the meter will cancel out the imports.  May be simpler to buy 3 diverters.

The one things to check is that your phases are balanced as well as they can be.

That can be quite a challenge.

1 hour ago, bob the builder 2 said:

Hi All

I am just about to press the button and order a 10kwh solar set up

The cost of batteries and fancy inverter are making me think that a hot water diverter and simple inverter might be a better investment.

I have been quoted for an ERS mini ( E.R.S Mini 3kW Solar Power Diverter | PowerFlow (powerflowenergy.com)  which will connect to the immersion about 2 3rds up the tank

As i am on a 3 phase and the tank immersion is limited to 2kw per phase i am ging forced to buy three of the diverters

Would appreciate any advice 

Bob 

with 

There are 3ph diversion controllers available. I looked at one for my current 2 projects, where there is / is going to be 3ph on site with sizeable PV systems installed.

11 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

Lots of unknowns impact this decision.

Do you have a heat pump? If so the battery is a better investment as that allows you to efficiently run the heatpump from PV and heat up the DHW tank using 2-3 times less energy than the immersion.

If not an ASHP, what is the other source of heating hot water?

Will you be doing MCS install and going for paid export? 

How large is the DHW tank and how much hot water do you anticipate using per day (how many occupant's in the house)

Do you anticipate using a lot of electricity per day on other appliances?

HI

Thanks all for the feedback - below is my set up and the options on solar diverter and battery.

ASHP

500l main tank with 6kw immersion 

200l buffer tank

on 3 phase 

option 1 - Total cost installed £14k

- x3 ers mini diverters

- 10kwh solar 

- optimisers on each panel

- NON HYBRID INVERTER

option 2

x 4 4.8 kwh batteries - PYLON US5000 4.8KWH LI-ION SOLAR BATTERY

- 10kwh solar 

- optimisers on each panel

- HYBRID INVERTER

Would appreciate any views as not sure which way to go - probably will want an MCS install 

Thanks 

bob