Fire Protection - Steel beams (again!)

Adam2

I've seen the earlier threads on this topic and note that there seems to be a few places where it is stated that 12.5mm standard plasterboard alone (well obviously not alone but fitted to something like an MF ceiling) is sufficient for 30 mins fire protection. I've had a look to find a reference for this but am unable to. Would be greatly appreciated if anyone could provide one that I could use to support some discussions with BC.

Check out the British Gypsum White Book before you do anything. You can’t just clad structural steel in plasterboard unless you follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

https://www.british-gypsum.com/specification/white-book-specification-selector.

For houses you will need 30 minutes fire resistance for all elements of structure except for a party/separating wall between dwellings which should be 60 minutes.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ETC said:

Check out the British Gypsum White Book before you do anything. You can’t just clad structural steel in plasterboard unless you follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

https://www.british-gypsum.com/specification/white-book-specification-selector.

For houses you will need 30 minutes fire resistance for all elements of structure except for a party/separating wall between dwellings which should be 60 minutes.

Unless the house is over three floors 

All GF steel will need protection 

Thanks for the replies, I'm aware of the need for protection. My question was is there any reference source for the claims that have been made on other threads relating to standard plasterboard providing 30 mins protection?