How to get optimiser serial numbers and location behind which panel post install?

Thorfun

greetings. long story short, I have a list of solaredge optimiser serial numbers but I need to figure out which one is behind which panel on my roof.

no scaffolding and GSE trays so couldn't see the optimiser even if I did have scaffolding. 

I have access to the installer monitoring/site setup website at solaredge.com (which is where I see the S/Ns) and want to monitor my per-panel energy generation via the optimisers but need to know where each is!

I was thinking a 'sail' or piece of fabric on the end of a long pole to shade each panel one at a time and noting which serial number reduced in generation? 

anyone got any better ideas or know of a better way to do this?

47 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

anyone got any better ideas or know of a better way to do this?

Going to be the the simplest way.

I was involved with a project that had optimisers.

Spent a day there trying to get them to register properly.

Then got told that they had not been logged, so no one knew what was were.

25 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Going to be the the simplest way.

I was involved with a project that had optimisers.

Spent a day there trying to get them to register properly.

Then got told that they had not been logged, so no one knew what was were.

Cheers. Fortunately the wife is pretty darn good with a sewing machine so I’ll give her the job of making the shade. Then wait for a sunny day and take it one panel at a time. 

9 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Fortunately the wife is pretty darn good with a sewing machine so I’ll give her the job of making the shade

Don't think the shade would have to be the full size of a module, half the area would probably be more than enough to establish which module is down on power.

• Like 1

If youre not confident on a ladder, or dont have one, pay a roofer/handyman to cover them up in turn with a sheet of cardboard cable tied to a roofing batten while you check the generation.

Assuming it's not a bungalow, its gonna be quite a challenge to hold a sail steady on the end of a long pole while the monitoring updates

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

If youre not confident on a ladder, or dont have one, pay a roofer/handyman to cover them up in turn with a sheet of cardboard cable tied to a roofing batten while you check the generation.

Assuming it's not a bungalow, its gonna be quite a challenge to hold a sail steady on the end of a long pole while the monitoring updates

I'd rather do it on the cheap and I'm ok on a ladder but it's a valid point. will have a go myself and then if/when I fail will call my roofer. 😂

• Sad 1

just had a great idea! although it might be straight out of the @pocster handbook

I have a drone..........make a 'flag' and attach it to the bottom of the drone and fly that up quite a way away from the panels so the flag doesn't need to be big to shade a larger area! genius. what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Temp said:

Throw a rope over the whole house to pull up a shade?

Although, that’s actually a darn good idea! Might be tricky to shuffle it along and would involve lots of pulling it back and throwing it up again. But could work. Will add it to the list of things to try. 

13 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I do, at some point, need to purchase a scaffold tower to board and decorate our vaulted ceilings. Maybe I should wait until I have one and do it from that. 

Get one of those carbon fibre window cleaning poles.  If you have a wet and dry vacuum cleaner (like a Henry), you can clean your gutters as well.

I have a scaffold tower, may even use it tomorrow.  Best thing is, the whole lot fits in my car.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The drone should be sufficient shade on its own if you hover immediately in front of the panel?

Got nothing to lose giving it a go I guess, although it is a small DJI Mini drone. Need to wait for the sun to come out next week though. 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Better suggestion 

Get a bright spot light and at night point it directly at each panel .

Might need a ladder .

This is best plan - much thanky 

It was actually a serious suggestion. A drone etc. Is doable but somewhat tricky . This method will make it much clearer which panel is getting the bulk of the light and therefore identify it . Go out tonight shine a torch at a panel and see . You know it makes sense because I said it .

DISCLAIMER:

Dear members of the public. Please be aware that some members are on strong prescription medication, so replies can be erratic, misleading, or just gibberish.

POLICE NOTICE:

If anyone comes across a part-naked man with a yellow smiley face, please do NOT approach him and contact the authorities immediately. This man is armed with completely barmy information, and is NOT afraid to use it.

The management.

• Haha 1