Condensation removal

Pocster

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Do some measuring and the sums.

Td = T - ((100 - RH)/5.)

where Td is dew point temperature (in degrees Celsius), T is observed temperature (in degrees Celsius), and RH is relative humidity (in percent).

Did that - but got bored and decided having a life was better .

@pocster , yer not going to like this but, I'm old, so I have a relevant story for ya .....

One of my first seasonal jobs was as a lifeguard (well, cleaner really)  at a swimming pool that was heated by methane gass. All the heat we ever wanted, and all free. So of course we ran the system full throttle all the time. Loads of heat wasted, very happy swimming customers - but people in the viewing gallery - sweating after 10 minutes. Air temperature stratospheric.

Double glazed in places by the pool, but not in the viewing gallery. Yes .... condensation aplenty.  The dampness dribbled down the beautiful laminated beams causing a white trail of calcium carbonate left behind after the re-evaporation of the now re-warmed water. Looked seriously awful.

Architect - make the fans bigger

Pool manager - scrub the bloody beams every day (yep, me)

Me - make the windows openable : there's more than enough heat - for free

Fans made bigger, me scrubbing like a dervish,   if anything the condensation got worse ( yep - bigger fans)

Then one year during closedown, they told me that they were going to make the windows openable. 

BINGO

Viewers in the gallery - very happy - nice cool breeze now. Wet swimmers walking past the open windows - very sad.

Me very happy

Make your window openable. - I know - I'll get me coat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Got another one of these light wells to do soon ( ish ) . 
Going to build it in a similar way but leave a nice hole at the top . Get the glass on and see what happens . A proper comparative test @Radian !

Drilling the other to make a hole of some kind will be a pita ; so want proof of theory .

That's good. Condensation is an absolute PITA. Several of my products have microcontroller driven LED's in clear plastic tubes for use outdoors (under cars, yachts etc.) and despite going to great lengths to hermetically seal the end caps and cabling, the polycarbonate tubes themselves have a finite amount of hygroscopic absorption and repeated heating and cooling pumps water vapour through the plastic. Then because it's decoupled from the outside, once the temperature falls below the dew-point the vapour condenses into water droplets. That's not a good look on a PCB full of electronics.

IMG_20230218_112529133.thumb.jpg.7c073a5b0e768fcf8f5faae62fedbe9f.jpgIMG_20230218_112631931.thumb.jpg.7c81903ca2e118cff9b882449e3af05d.jpg

Because of the inevitability of this I've had to apply a good coat of mil-spec lacquer over all the electronics and just leave nature to do its thing. The good news is that the water never builds up. The self-heating of the electronics clears the vapour on average and some tubes I've had outdoors since 2003 still work fine with a few drops of water nearly always present.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

How can you make light of such a serious issue @SteamyTea ?

Poor @pocster's budgie is having to put up with condensate on his pecker. He needs to get more air flowing round it, and all will be well. 

Lift his Dew Point and all that stuff.... he's well up to the job I should think.

And I thought that special  orange message about behaviour on here was directed solely at me.