Newbie - Adam

AdamL

Hi All, Adam here, 

New to the forum. Currently undertaking a small extension in Manchester ("currently = past 2.5 years") 

Hope to find some BC answers / ask some silly questions!

I specifically need some immediate advise/threads which include detail "external door thresholds for block-cavity-brick" construction junction drawings / detail 

A

Edited by AdamL

17 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Hi All, Adam here, 

New to the forum. Currently undertaking a small extension in Manchester ("currently = past 2.5 years") 

Hope to find some BC answers / ask some silly questions!

I specifically need some immediate advise/threads which include detail "external door thresholds for block-cavity-brick" construction junction drawings / detail 

A

Welcome to the group. Ask away I'm awaiting a delivery.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Welcome to BuildHub Adam.

The best way of getting fast feedback is to find the right sub-forum, and post a specific question there. If you have photos and/or drawings (especially sections for something like you're discussing), that will usually help a lot.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

18 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

This looks v similar to what I have (thanks again) 

However where there is the (3) Polyfoam. I have a cavity (yes, i can push some polyfoam/similar in the cavity. 

Currently there is only a "cavity closer" placed to cover the gap.

As the door is fitted to the external brick leaf and screed are is poured only to the internal block leaf there is NO strength over the ~80mm cavity. 

My concern here is the strenght of the flooring in that section if you stand on it... it would likely cave in after a short time / be a problem with the flooring finish

image 2023-01-19 22.02.58(1).jpg

Edited by AdamL

On 09/02/2023 at 16:40, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Hi Adam,

for over the cavity take a look at compacfoam at Green Building Store, in fact I think someone was selling some on here in the marketplace.

Looks like the right product, thank you.

I suppose I would need a very strong mechanical fixing ... somehow!?

53 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Looks like the right product, thank you.

I suppose I would need a very strong mechanical fixing ... somehow!?

I got a sample of this stuff ages ago and it’s rather crazy, you can screw into it like timber. 

you should be able to fix it to the inner leaf, either with metal screw and washer, or you could use a shortish plastic external wall insulation fixing like these: https://www.toolstation.com/fischer-dipk-insulation-render-fixing/p42435?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dm&pcrid=&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAiA_6yfBhBNEiwAkmXy5wOfdWzUTcYgnzaAqhy3S3hBgsFY4-7cYfyyzzq_fauWaT1pXgvM9RoCTeQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

you may well need to look for a smaller pack size tho!! 😂 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

you may well need to look for a smaller pack size tho!! 😂 

Hmm, yes 200 fixings might be a little overkill (or very secure) 

My problem is if I push the 75mm compaqfoam into the 80mm cavity I can't get a fixing and an impact driver in the gap (gap would only be ~5mm) 

I guess i'll have to put  a batten/brackets "underneath" for the compaqfoam to sit on top of ... should give enough support 🤞

I spend all weekend removing the Philips Hue light strips from the protective rubber (so that they fit in my new aluminium profile/diffuser) no more warranty for me...

Top section above kitchen wall units done...

I now need to learn how to solder to continue the next parts. 

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 12.17.58.png

• Like 1

I had a go at routing / fitting worktop together. (all the underside of the front edge is routed out with an aluminium channel ready for the next lot of Philips Hue Light strips. 

Then making a cut out for sink / taps. Not plumbed in yet, only for the pics. I need to take the work top off a few more times yet for other stuff.

image.thumb.jpeg.c33902aaca336263011b46ffe03e4421.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eeee967c612bb8280c29c7c9dfd24bc3.jpeg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AdamL said:

I now need to learn how to solder to continue the next parts. 

The best tip (haha) I can offer is that you need to make use of the solder to transfer heat from the soldering iron tip to the parts being joined. Just having the tip in contact with the wire/ PCB trace will tend not to transfer sufficient heat. Melted solder is a hot fluid that will transfer the heat nicely. Think of it like that and you'll make better solder joints.

• Haha 1