House tightness tests in Norfolk or Suffolk. 

Airtightness-test.thumb.jpg.cca2a3a1d08b3407466e1684545953ca.jpg I'm trying to arrange one for my house but need one or two other properties to justify the expert's journey.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT ONE? They measure how well a house holds onto to the heat and where it's being lost (Bring out the insulation foam and tape!!).  

This is the basic data on which you can decide how to upgrade your property with insulation, heat pumps etc.

HOW'S IT DONE?  First the warm property is sealed up; Next a fan is fitted in the front door to suck out some air from inside; Then using a thermal camera you can see the flow of cold being sucked into the property.  

WHAT DOES IT COST? £600 for four hour test plus cost of travel

WHO WOULD DO IT?  ( link removed by moderation team ).

She knows I am looking to put together enough properties to come to this area so contact her or ask me

6 hours ago, JtG said:

Airtightness-test.thumb.jpg.cca2a3a1d08b3407466e1684545953ca.jpg I'm trying to arrange one for my house but need one or two other properties to justify the expert's journey.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT ONE? They measure how well a house holds onto to the heat and where it's being lost (Bring out the insulation foam and tape!!).  

This is the basic data on which you can decide how to upgrade your property with insulation, heat pumps etc.

HOW'S IT DONE?  First the warm property is sealed up; Next a fan is fitted in the front door to suck out some air from inside; Then using a thermal camera you can see the flow of cold being sucked into the property.  

WHAT DOES IT COST? £600 for four hour test plus cost of travel

WHO WOULD DO IT?  Dianne from Green footsteps and https://homeenergydoctor.co.uk Check out her YouTube videos for the Carbon Trust 

She knows I am looking to put together enough properties to come to this area so contact her or ask me

Lots of online testers will come out for one home 

£200 max 

£600 and needing multiple homes sounds like a scam 

22 minutes ago, nod said:

£600 and needing multiple homes sounds like a scam 

Yup. Total and utter nonsense.

Stands to reason then that she would be far too busy that day to spend any discernible time at each property, eg helping the client locate and cure any leaks / improving the score whilst on site. :/ 

No thank you.

19 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If you were happy, could you share their contact details here please? Subject to their agreement also.

We had the final test in 2017 and he was thorough and also liked his pasties.

https://www.airtightnesstestingkent.co.uk/air-tightness-testing

PS I've just noticed the picture of him on his website, which I took, is of our front door, hall and porch.

Edited by Gone West
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

£600?  Good luck.  I think mine was £180.  Not Norfolk, but the next county.

May I have the contact please? 

Also what was the scope of your final report if you don't mind?   I'm wanting to finish up with data for a whole house retrofit plan.

It's strange.  I've had 2 other quotations for thermal imaging that were in line with mine

Thermal imaging for airtightness testing is a load of nonsense AFAIC. Heating a house up and then running around outside before it cools down will not show you where it's leaking inside. Indiscriminate on a good day, utterly useless on a bad one.

Snake oil if you ask me, and bloody expensive snake oil too.

"No".👎

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Thermal imaging for airtightness testing is a load of nonsense AFAIC. Heating a house up and then running around outside before it cools down will not show you where it's leaking inside. Indiscriminate on a good day, utterly useless on a bad one.

Snake oil if you ask me, and bloody expensive snake oil too.

"No".👎

I think it's running around inside - as the outside air moves to replace the inside air that the fan removed??

4 hours ago, JtG said:

I think it's running around inside - as the outside air moves to replace the inside air that the fan removed??

Either way around, I do not see how this can compete with a blower and an ear, then smoke to finish up if required. How many times are you supposed to heat the place up? And how, effectively, in a new, partially constructed, building do you heat all the spaces up enough to keep performing this test? How much difference in temp must you create when the temps in and out aren't miles apart?

Last clients test, you could hear the air getting sucked through a hole where a screw had been put in and taken out, eg which should have been AT taped over.

KISS. 

Oh I see, no this is for a 1960s bungalow that I want to retrofit to aecb standards.   So heating up is no problem.   I have been told a 10 degree difference is good enough.

I kinda felt that the images from the thermal camera would give me a record to work from when* I send someone around with foam and airtight tape!

*Disability restricts my DIY and the world's a safer place for it!