Loxone cabinet wiring

I am struggling to find anyone in Scotland that will provide a quote for the Loxone HA. I’ve contacted the three Loxone recommended and have had no joy with any of them. Therefore not entirely sure what to do. Spoke with the electrician and he says he’s happy to give the wiring a go. He’s done a lot of wiring for other HA systems so has some experience of wiring the cabinets up. I’m an ex programmer so reckon I can work my way through that side of things. However is there a company or service that can do the cabinet layout or even design etc ? I have a reasonable idea what I want to automate. 

I coordinated our Loxone installation with my electrician (my background: electronics degree several decades ago, no programming). He did all of the electrical side of things, I did the high-level design and programming.

I doubt you'll have any real difficulties with the system design. Some of the more difficult questions are less technical and more where and how to make compromises.

Example: what sort of lighting will you have, and how will you dim it? Loxone native (expensive, limited range, but works very well in the ecosystem), DMX, KNX, other? Downlights (mains, 24 V?), LED strip, wall lights, central lights, or some combination?

The cabinet layout shouldn't be an issue for your electrician.

I'd consider posting your question in the Loxone Google Groups group: https://groups.google.com/g/loxone-english

I have a reasonable idea of the lighting after feedback on here and also what else I want to control. I've also started planning out what's needed using the Loxone config app. 

I'll have a look at the google group. 

Anyone willing to share their cabinet design so that I can have a look at it? 

I'm having a go at this myself in conjunction with my electrician. with the knowledge and assistance of those that have done it on here I'm feeling pretty confident about doing an all-right job!

do a search on here and you'll find many examples of cabinets. @joth has a particularly good thread:

I started a thread about my Loxone project as well which has loads of great information in it:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Anyone willing to share their cabinet design so that I can have a look at it? 

No! 🤣

Mine looks like a rat's nest inside due to a couple of poor decisions at the time I put it together. I have a long term plan to improve it, but don't really have the time to dedicate to it at the moment.

What I will say is that you need a good solution for terminating your incoming CAT 6 (or whatever) wiring before it enters the cabinet. 110 blocks are a decent options for non-data cables. You then patch each pair up into the cabinet with a separate twisted pair.

There are a lot of pairs from the ethernet incomers that don't get used - 1 out of 4 is the most common usage ratio per incoming cable on my installation - so having somewhere neat to terminate them outside the cabinet does a lot for internal routing space.

• Like 1

@Kelvin @Thorfun I'm actually working on some loxone designs and doing installations for a couple other people now, taking my first steps to see if this is something I want to go into in a much bigger way. (Full disclosure: VAT registered company already setup for this, as that's fairly necessary for anyone providing services to new-builds, but I'm a good way from it being a serious profit making enterprise)

So there's a few different ways I may be able help out. Certainly happy to share pointers on here, as I've learnt so much from it. (And I generally need to level up my documentation game).

I'm also curious if there's scope for skills trading. If anyone here is good at pipework and plumbing, I have a bunch of modifications to my ASHP install I really need to make before summer but I'm just to chicken to drain down the system and do them. (And seems impossible to find someone I can pay that I would trust to do it).  If anyone is in the South East (ish) and would like to spend a day helping me with that, I'd be more than happy to spend a day or two on your site helping with cabling or any of the fiddly aspects of getting LXN installed or programmed.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2023 at 17:38, Thorfun said:

ps. @Rob99 might be interested in 'building' your rig and shipping it up to you? IIRC his company offer this service.

@Kelvin @Thorfun Yes, that is something I can do, amongst other services. Drop me a PM if you want further info.

Aside from that I'm happy to chip in on here with bits of knowledge and advice on Loxone stuff.