Heat Pump grant - timing?

Glenn

Hello, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere but a search defeated me.

Installation of an ASHP (and HWC etc) in a new build. What is the timing of the £5k grant? Can the installer apply at time of installation (me as self-builder having provided evidence of no extra insulation needs etc by way of SAP/as-designed EPC), or do I need to pay full price and only (via the installer) receive a refund on build completion and registration of as-built EPC?

The latter seems to go against the spirit of the exception kindly given us self-builders for our new builds, but it is what my installer is saying is the process.

Regards

Glenn 

The company installing has to do their own calculations for heat loss etc. To get the grant the installer applies prior to install, you can't do later, from my understanding.

There is a time limit, I believe from application to getting the job done also.  Only registered installers are allowed to get the money. If the grant is unsuccessful you have to pay full quoted price.

Not really sure if the grant is good value for money, unless your lucky, as most quotes I have seen have been a rip off.

If your willing to shop around you can get a heat pump, suitable cylinder, and most of the fitting for around £4k or less.

The way it works behind the scenes is that a "voucher" is generated prior to the install, and redeemed once the install is completed - as long as it's completed to standard. The voucher has a limited valiidity period and must be redeemed within that. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2022-11/FINAL Installer guidance V2_0.pdf has the full deets - section 5 for vouchers.

Self-builds don't need to submit an EPC, per figure 3.

Companies vary on whether they want the full amount upfront or not, and it seems to vary based on circumstances with a single company as well. At one, I was asked to pay upfront and get the 5K back as a refund; a friend who got a quote from the same company was assured he'd only pay the net amount. The main difference between the two was that I was paying outright and he was looking at their finance.

Definitely cheaper to buy and fit one yourself, but the degree of rip-off varies considerably among MCS installers. I had quotes (before taking BUS into account) ranging from 12K to 21K (including full install, new UVC, and replacing 4? radiators), bless 'em.

Permitted development requires MCS install, but I suppose that's not really an issue if you're self-building.

Edited by Nick Thomas
  • Thanks 1

Just an FYI vouchers don’t have to be issued prior to work commencing the guide states this at point 100:

“Installers can make voucher applications retrospectively after the installation has commissioned, but they will still need to apply for a voucher before they can redeem it.”

I think this is how our installer is doing it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnMo said:

To get the grant the installer applies prior to install, you can't do later, from my understanding.

Re my previous point the installers can apply retrospectively after install. (Point 100 in the guide). 

3 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Not really sure if the grant is good value for money, unless your lucky, as most quotes I have seen have been a rip off.

If your willing to shop around you can get a heat pump, suitable cylinder, and most of the fitting for around £4k or less.

Have a sneaking suspicion that you're underestimating the costs here. The ancillary components soon add up. I bought a heat pump for £2700, which I considered a reasonable price, but I'm up to £4500 total so far which doesn't include a cylinder, extra cu tube and fittings or replacement radiators. Things like flexible mountings, flexible pipe, insulation, valves various, filters etc add up to quite a lot of money. I'll be lucky to get it all done for £10,000. (Still cheaper than the quote I got and it will be a better system.)

8 minutes ago, billt said:

Have a sneaking suspicion that you're underestimating the costs here. The ancillary components soon add up. I bought a heat pump for £2700, which I considered a reasonable price, but I'm up to £4500 total so far which doesn't include a cylinder, extra cu tube and fittings or replacement radiators. Things like flexible mountings, flexible pipe, insulation, valves various, filters etc add up to quite a lot of money. I'll be lucky to get it all done for £10,000. (Still cheaper than the quote I got and it will be a better system.)

What heat pump did you go for?

37 minutes ago, billt said:

Change out of £5.5k for me, and that includes a full slab of new rads.

Most stuff came from eBay of marketplace though 

40 minutes ago, billt said:

Have a sneaking suspicion that you're underestimating the costs here. The ancillary components soon add up

No.

My cost count is £2700, including vat, all delivery, 6kW ASHP, 2 port UFH manifold and pipe, Flexi pipes, feet, valves, strainer ball valve, pipe, piping fitting, expansion vessel, thermostat, electric meter, bleed valves etc etc.and £200 of pipe insulation 

Add a cylinder £4k total.  Take away the UFH piping to get heat pump flow to summer house, well less than £4k.

Will need an electrician for about 1/2 day.

Edited by JohnMo
Missed about insulation

Thank you all, brilliant assistance as always! Will wave around the relevant sections of the document linked to by Nick Thomas

For general info, 5kw ashp and 180l tank, 50l ufh buffer, all plumbing and commissioning etc, £8.8k ie £3.8k net

Regards

Glenn