No neutral

Pocster

Am I correct uk lighting circuits generally have no neutral ?

If I remove my wall switch what am I looking for to see if there’s a neutral ? ( 3 wires instead of 2 ??? ) .

Trying to sort a smart switch dimmer - but impossible with no neutral …?

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If there is literally a 2 core cable connected to the switch then you have "loop at light" wiring.  I assume this is one of your HMO's?  Most people wire new builds loop at switch now.

No 🙄 ; on my build !

I took a bedroom socket off the wall ( SWMBO insists on ‘ real ‘ switches in the bedroom ) . Unless I’m wrong - is that indeed a neutral there ?? 😎

BA4CD4AF-D7FE-4AE2-8C10-FDB86053D1F5.jpeg

13AD2842-A217-4629-B75E-914F08FD5698.jpeg

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Yes that is loop at switch.  the blues in the Wago are the neutral, so if your smart switch needs a neutral that is where it connects to.

Magic ! My sparky did it right ( I may have told him I need a neutral - I can’t remember ) .

Well pleased ! . Once I install quality smart switch from land of the rising sun I can remotely turn the light off to annoy SWMBO !

• 9 months later...

@ProDave I'll be starting my self build soon, self managed but not DIY, and would appreciate some advice on how I should specify the lighting wiring when getting quotes. I'm not planning smart lighting initially, but would like the option to install it later. Am I right in understanding from this that I need to specify I want neutrals in the switch boxes - loop at switch? Is this required by codes or is it a choice the electrician can make?

Thanks