So lost our builder today.

Spoke to a neighbour who is an excellent builder but only works for big companies in the big smoke. He told me to employ each stage separately, a groundworker, get someone to do the blocks, roof etc  and to use good people. Them spoke to relation who is a QS for a highly thought of development firm who totally agreed, he is giving me contacts including a site manager who is on a sabbatical from them for a few months. He suggested we employ him a day or 2 a week. I honestly think this is a blessing, it was just hard to see it earlier today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Spoke to a neighbour who is an excellent builder but only works for big companies in the big smoke. He told me to employ each stage separately, a groundworker, get someone to do the blocks, roof etc  and to use good people. Them spoke to relation who is a QS for a highly thought of development firm who totally agreed, he is giving me contacts including a site manager who is on a sabbatical from them for a few months. He suggested we employ him a day or 2 a week. I honestly think this is a blessing, it was just hard to see it earlier today.

It’s a cliche but everything happens for a reason. 

best of luck moving forward. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Spoke to a neighbour who is an excellent builder but only works for big companies in the big smoke. He told me to employ each stage separately, a groundworker, get someone to do the blocks, roof etc  and to use good people.

We are building this way - it some ways it's really good, but be careful it's very different from a single contractor build. There's nobody on-site with visibility of the full build so much more responsibility falls to you to get things right, and it's dragged us to be much more technically involved with the build.

You'll find a way, and be relieved your contractor has been honest with you!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

honestly think this is a blessing, it was just hard to see it earlier today.

Well founded founded persistence always brings increasing resilience in it's wake. You just get better at it.

There will be many similar tests. Remember your previous success. It's the foundation of tomorrow's.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Well founded founded persistence always brings increasing resilience in it's wake. You just get better at it.

There will be many similar tests. Remember your previous success. It's the foundation of tomorrow's.

Isn't it time you changed your name again TBC? I'm thinking, 'The Sage', or 'Confucius' maybe 🤔 😉

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Just printed that out - it's going on the fridge. Wise words.

• Thanks 1

We built the way that is being suggested. You may find that each trade that comes on site recommends another trade. We would stop and ask, at a single building site, for recommendations. Another route is to make friends of you local Builders Merchants. The guys on the counter know all the local trades and often have a nose for who is good and who is not. Our carpenters were well known for sending stuff back if it wasn't up to their high standards etc.

• Like 1