Budgets

On our previous build we had everything on a spreadsheet and virtually everything costed 

The only thing we we’re caught out with was the PIR doubling in price over a fire at the Factory in Germany 

Whilst we still have a spreadsheet 

we’ve given up trying to plan to far ahead 

Is anyone else managing to keep track

5 hours ago, nod said:

Is anyone else managing to keep track

God no. We've now gone so far above budget I stopped counting and had to go back to work to start earning money to pay for the rest. Still got some 1st fix to do let alone the 2nd fix. It really is worse than an episode of Grand Designs except however hard I've looked I can't find that extra 500k down the back of the sofa. Spec has taken a bit of a hiding. But I'm still smiling as at least it's nice and warm and not costing much to heat....and we're not living in a caravan any more.

• Like 2

We're right at the beginning of our journey - own a plot but currently finding an architect to work with - and setting / keeping an accurate budget seems nightmareish! I'm good with numbers and spreadsheets but seeing the price rises of the last few years (without much light at the end of the tunnel) makes it seem a daunting task.

Our build budget is smaller than planned (ending up spending more on the plot when something in a perfect location for us popped up) so it's a little unclear if we can even afford to do what we want yet. And if we are short, not sure how long it will take to catch up if things keep getting more expensive.

I have been messing about with a fairly small development project.  Several unforeseen obstacles have caused significant delay and expense.  It is now probably going to be loss making but I try to take the rough with the smooth.  At least I am not up to my neck in debt to the bank.