mobile phone repeaters

ProDave

Guest Alphonsox
2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Worth dragging this info back from the other place.......How to determine the frequency of your your local mobile mast.

I have been having a dig around trying to determine what frequency the local mobile mast uses for my extremely weak connection. It seems like this data is not officially recorded in any publicly accessible place that I can find (Sitefinder did have this info but hasn't been updated for years now). The following method gives this frequency data.

You need to get the ARFCN (Absolute Radio Frequency Channel Number) for the connection, aka UARFCN and EARFCN. To get this number you need to get a phone that has a "Field Test Mode". This seems to be available on most modern smart phones. For my Iphone you enter the Field Test Mode by dialing *3001#12345#*
For a 4G connection to my local mast I get a UARFCN of 1667, Using this in the following lookup site https://www.cellmapper.net/arfcn gives the following.

Result
Network Type LTE (FDD)
E/U/ARFCN 1665
Band Name DCS
Uplink Frequency (phone to base station) 1756.5MHz
Downlink Frequency (base station to phone) 1851.5MHz
Band Number 3

So I would need a booster operating in the 1800MHz region. 

I know it's out of date, but sitefinder tells me we only have a 2G 900Mhz phone mast withing range, so I just bought the 900Mhz version of the repeater. I only paid £25 for mine but I haven't seen it that cheap since.

Yes the PSU failed, usual Chinese rubbish, but I had a spare and it's working again.

Guest Alphonsox

It depends what you want to do 2G is fine for voice but a non-starter for data connections which given that an IPad was mentioned may be important.

10 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

It depends what you want to do 2G is fine for voice but a non-starter for data connections which given that an IPad was mentioned may be important.

Which probably explains why I still only think a mobile phone is something to talk to people on, or if you really really insist I just might peck away at a silly minute keyboard to send a text message, but only if I don't have an email addrerss to send a message using a proper full sized keyboard on the computer.

We only get 2G here, so as you say data is a non starter. SWMBO does use her phone to "do" face book, but only because it is connected to the house wi fi and can use our broadband connection via the landline.

Guest Alphonsox

I would have agreed with you up until a year ago when my company insisted that I join the 21st century - I said fine as long as they were paying. I now have a fully funded Iphone and I have to admit it is far more useful than I imagined it would be.

11 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

I would have agreed with you up until a year ago when my company insisted that I join the 21st century - I said fine as long as they were paying. I now have a fully funded Iphone and I have to admit it is far more useful than I imagined it would be.

Yes, but it would still be rubbish if you lived here and only had a 2G signal.

I agree, if you live somewhere where you have a good, reliable 3G or 4G signal, and can get a decent phone package with unlimited data, and can tether your computers to it for broadband, then I might, just might, ditch the landline.  I won't hold my breath while waiting.

Guest Alphonsox
1 minute ago, ProDave said:

f you live somewhere where you have a good, reliable 3G or 4G signal, and can get a decent phone package with unlimited data

The site has good 4G and dire 0.5M "broadband". Unfortunately unlimited broadband doesn't exist so I'm stuck for options at the moment

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

That only has an omni directional outside aerial. If you have a weak signal (which lets face it is why you are using one of these) you really want the version with the yagi aerial.

I did notice that but joe said he can get a decent signal sitting on his van roof. Figured stick the antennae up high. If in doubt I suppose spend the extra £10 and get the Yagi one.

Just now, Alphonsox said:

Now that IS interesting - I've not heard of any WiMax operatins in NI.

The 50Mb connection I think is only available within 5 mile of broadcast point. If you email them with your coordinates they will give you an idea of connection speed. I know a couple of people on it and they say it is fairly good and unlimited download.

8 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Worth dragging this info back from the other place.......How to determine the frequency of your your local mobile mast.

I have been having a dig around trying to determine what frequency the local mobile mast uses for my extremely weak connection. It seems like this data is not officially recorded in any publicly accessible place that I can find (Sitefinder did have this info but hasn't been updated for years now). The following method gives this frequency data.

You need to get the ARFCN (Absolute Radio Frequency Channel Number) for the connection, aka UARFCN and EARFCN. To get this number you need to get a phone that has a "Field Test Mode". This seems to be available on most modern smart phones. For my Iphone you enter 

For my android it's

Settings

About

Network

Simples...

2 hours ago, vfrdave said:

The 50Mb connection I think is only available within 5 mile of broadcast point. If you email them with your coordinates they will give you an idea of connection speed. I know a couple of people on it and they say it is fairly good and unlimited download.

I don't think it is 50Mb (megabytes)   (I could be wrong here). I think it's 50mb (megabits).  So just over 6Mb.