New member - Design of timber frame extension. How to hide / cloak the concrete footing blocks.

shackles

Hello,

Got planning for a single storey kitchen extension & I have decided to build this in Timber Frame. 

I have searched for a design detail of this but I am yet to find one. Maybe this is obvious... I have not started this build yet and just want to get my head around the design. The design I wish to proceed with is 150mm timber studs / sole plate.

My question is - If you build the timber frame extension off the concrete blocks - are the concrete blocks then hidden by cladding that cloaks over the top? Even the cladding is inert / cementitious, I still don't like the idea that it is that close to the ground and could somehow breach DPC or just get covered in dirt.

I know you wouldn't have this issue if you built off of engineering bricks, but fixing the sole plate down to engineering bricks could risk damaging the engineering bricks / cracking etc. Or is this fine and not anything to be worried about?

The image below shows a SIPS on concrete blocks. This is an example & not my build.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

fff1d99e2981e4221fcb65e0e5d6722d.jpg

4 hours ago, shackles said:

Hello,

Got planning for a single storey kitchen extension & I have decided to build this in Timber Frame. 

I have searched for a design detail of this but I am yet to find one. Maybe this is obvious... I have not started this build yet and just want to get my head around the design. The design I wish to proceed with is 150mm timber studs / sole plate.

My question is - If you build the timber frame extension off the concrete blocks - are the concrete blocks then hidden by cladding that cloaks over the top? Even the cladding is inert / cementitious, I still don't like the idea that it is that close to the ground and could somehow breach DPC or just get covered in dirt.

I know you wouldn't have this issue if you built off of engineering bricks, but fixing the sole plate down to engineering bricks could risk damaging the engineering bricks / cracking etc. Or is this fine and not anything to be worried about?

The image below shows a SIPS on concrete blocks. This is an example & not my build.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

fff1d99e2981e4221fcb65e0e5d6722d.jpg

It depends what you are cladding it with. Many timber frame buildings are clad in brick and the engineerings would come up in front of your blockwork with a cavity. On top of the engineerings would be faced brickwork or rendered blockwork. This would hide your blockwork below your timber frame. 

You need to think about cold bridging. In the above picture that block work will suck the heat out of the build.

Post some plans of what your thinking and you will get loads of good advice. It doesn't have to be expensive. 

Edited by Jenki
Spelling

Simply paint the block face with bitumen. Nobody will notice.

The engineering bticks option can be overcome, esp with the patience of diy. Drill holes in solid brick and use an expanding nail, or plug and screw. Bricks with holes through will take a dowel into which you can screw. 

Insulation can either go in the cavity if you have one, or against the inside face.

1 hour ago, Jenki said:

You need to think about cold bridging. In the above picture that block work will suck the heat out of the build.

Post some plans of what your thinking and you will get loads of good advice. It doesn't have to be expensive. 

Hello,

I have planned to use marmox thermoblocks to reduce the cold bridging from the blocks. Cheers.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Simply paint the block face with bitumen. Nobody will notice.

The engineering bticks option can be overcome, esp with the patience of diy. Drill holes in solid brick and use an expanding nail, or plug and screw. Bricks with holes through will take a dowel into which you can screw. 

Insulation can either go in the cavity if you have one, or against the inside face.

Hello, 

Yes - I think I may go for a black composite board fixed or similar to hide it. Or brick slips if I was that bothered also...The bitumen would work, just not sure how it would look after a year or 2 etc. Thanks.

10 hours ago, shackles said:

also...The bitumen would work, just not sure how it would look after a year or 2 etc.

Did this on 50 + buildings. None houses but not one person ever had a problem. After 10 years nothing has changed. 

I think I prefer that to a board covering that would need a connection.

Full bricks are cheaper than slips, and more stable, so use block inner and brick outer for preference.

34 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Did this on 50 + buildings. None houses but not one person ever had a problem. After 10 years nothing has changed. 

I think I prefer that to a board covering that would need a connection.

Full bricks are cheaper than slips, and more stable, so use block inner and brick outer for preference.

Ah well that's good to know and easier to do. Cheers.