Which Manhole cover?

One of the inspection chambers on our recently installed foul run is in the shared part of the driveway (shared between 3 houses including ours), it was fitted with a plastic cover and frame as a temporary measure. I would now like to replace it with a proper one.

It's a 450mm Polypipe chamber with plastic risers. I'm thinking B125, but what style/type of cover is right for use in a gravel driveway and how is it detailed?

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

call into any builders merchant them have them in stock

Yes, but I'm hoping for some guidance on what type. The last time I asked the merchant for similar they sold me covers that I know believe are for tarmac, they are very shallow.

3 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

Yes, but I'm hoping for some guidance on what type. The last time I asked the merchant for similar they sold me covers that I know believe are for tarmac, they are very shallow.

What vehicles will use the drive? How likely is it that wheels will go over the lid? How will the drive be finished? Will you set the lid in concrete or tarmac? Or sets etc. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, markc said:

What vehicles will use the drive? How likely is it that wheels will go over the lid? How will the drive be finished? Will you set the lid in concrete or tarmac? Or sets etc. 

Yes vehicles will use the drive. Likely only Supermarket vans and stuff, maybe the odd site delivery, but we can't get huge stuff up the drive anyway. The plastic cover has already had various heavy vehicles over it and has survived!! (It survived 20 loads going away in a Unimog)

Wheels will go over it unfortunately. It's in a turning area. The drive is likely to only ever be gravel. It'll be set in concrete.

In that case you are looking at a medium duty ductile iron cover. Often called a driveway or car park cover. Good for around 10-12 tonnes and cheap as chips for what they are. Frame depth depends on the lid size.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, markc said:

In that case you are looking at a medium duty ductile iron cover. Often called a driveway or car park cover. Good for around 10-12 tonnes and cheap as chips for what they are. Frame depth depends on the lid size.

Great, thanks for that. Does the depth relate to the concrete I'll need to successfully bed/haunch it in? The deeper they are, the pricier they appear to become.

53 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

Great, thanks for that. Does the depth relate to the concrete I'll need to successfully bed/haunch it in? The deeper they are, the pricier they appear to become.

Hi, depth is determined by size of lid … bigger the opening, the deeper the frame. In your case I would drill and fix it in place and then a small haunch to help tyres up and over as the gravel moves

Similar to the above, we tend to put a concrete collar round the rings at about 300mm down and then brick up 4 courses with engineering bricks and infil around the rings. Then it’s a cover over the top, the new composite ones are light but strong too, and not massively expensive