Bi-Fold Door door not sealing to frame

GrantMcscott

Hi

I have 1 bi-fold door where the top of the door is not touching the seal by 2 to 3mm so it is not air tight and letting in a draft.  I have 2 more of these doors and the seals and the instalation look the same.  From the inside the top of the door is not flush with the frame and can come in to close the gap.

Not sure how to adjust the door to achive this or even if it can be done.  

20230120_085533.jpg

20230120_085524.jpg

Bifolds are basically poor for airtightness 

I’ve fitted quite a few different makes 

and most rely on toe and heal of the glass for adjustment 

If the doors are fitted level and square most manufacturers will provide 2-3 seals Each a couple of mil bigger 

The fitters like a nice easy clean fit 

and arnt usually bothered over airtight ness 

From your point of view you need the door to grab like a fridge door 

My neighbor had a door fitted by Duration and complained of drafts underneath I rang them and they sent me two new seals The first one made the door difficult to open The next worked perfectly My neighbor said whilst the draft problems are cured 

The original one was much smoother 

Probably why the fitter used the smaller seal 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nod said:

Bifolds are basically poor for airtightness 

I’ve fitted quite a few different makes 

and most rely on toe and heal of the glass for adjustment 

If the doors are fitted level and square most manufacturers will provide 2-3 seals Each a couple of mil bigger 

The fitters like a nice easy clean fit 

and arnt usually bothered over airtight ness 

From your point of view you need the door to grab like a fridge door 

My neighbor had a door fitted by Duration and complained of drafts underneath I rang them and they sent me two new seals The first one made the door difficult to open The next worked perfectly My neighbor said whilst the draft problems are cured 

The original one was much smoother 

Probably why the fitter used the smaller seal 

so should i just go and but some storm guard and stick it on?

6 hours ago, nod said:

I’d contact the supplier to try a different seal 

When bis sliders etc leak They simply try a different seal

Quick and easy to fit 

Hi

had another look at the door tonight and it does not look like an issue with the gasket.  It looks like the door is not shutting tight enough at the top.  You can push the top of the door in an out.

Is there any adjustment to bring the top of he door in to close the gap between the frame and top of door?

Not sure if you can see it from this picF77BC11B-D3C8-45F0-8DCB-9C05A92D062A.thumb.jpeg.6676b00c6d651b7b3a2c57e3b5de7a3a.jpeg

If you open the door you’ll see where the locking pins go in, these can be adjusted to pull the door in more. If needs be you can also raise the doors, assuming it’s on a bottom runner, by raising the wheels, mine was done with an Allen key.

if you look for the profile manufacturers documentation there should be a guide dedicated to this, mine are Liniar and have one

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

If you open the door you’ll see where the locking pins go in, these can be adjusted to pull the door in more. If needs be you can also raise the doors, assuming it’s on a bottom runner, by raising the wheels, mine was done with an Allen key.

if you look for the profile manufacturers documentation there should be a guide dedicated to this, mine are Liniar and have one

Idid adjust the locking to pull the door in but it does not pull it in enough.

My doors are SCHUCO and struggling to find any good documentation on it for adjustment

Yeah odd that it doesn’t detail them, apologies I should have read all the way down that manual, the Liniar installation guide does show adjustments, I’d be very surprised if it were very different to be honest.

have you spoken to schuco to see if they have anything?

4 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Yeah odd that it doesn’t detail them, apologies I should have read all the way down that manual, the Liniar installation guide does show adjustments, I’d be very surprised if it were very different to be honest.

have you spoken to schuco to see if they have anything?

I have contacted Express bifold who I bought them from to see what they say but they after sales is poor.