Overnight temp drop 0.3/hour in my MVHR+SIP house, is this good?

19 hours ago, Radian said:

Which is why it's worth hacking it clean out of the cloud!

I have ended up tolerating Google services: the are just too good and have no direct price/cost.  Don't use Echo or Alexa through or any other always-on cloud based listening service.  I refuse to use any IoT cloud-based service from any of these companies.  Nearly all devices have an MQTT or equivalent transport layer that I can drive locally from Home Assistant.

16 minutes ago, TerryE said:

I have ended up tolerating Google services

Yes and this points up the classic system of systems challenge. We are all, Google included, building  systems of systems with component systems over which there is little or no control. So google changes something and your system is broken and very little you can do about it other than rebuild it using another system. As we have seen reverse engineering is not an easy answer. 

6 hours ago, TerryE said:

I have ended up tolerating Google services: the are just too good and have no direct price/cost.  Don't use Echo or Alexa through or any other always-on cloud based listening service. 

Funny that, I feel exactly the opposite about those two players. I don't trust Google to maintain their services - while Echo is too-big-to-vanish and all it does for us is provide a convenient ambient UI that's totally customisable by utilising their free developer tools. I don't give a fig if it picks up the occasional snippet of conversation not intended for it. The fact that Amazon are struggling to recover their investment in developing the hardware and software stack is another reassuring indication that it's providing good value for punters.

• 2 weeks later...