What is the minimum temperature for pouring foundations and how soon after can you build on them?

CalvinHobbes

Just looking at the weather forecast and trying to work out timings. 

Cottages came down today - it was thrilling. An 8 tonne digger made mincemeat of them.

[Mod note: I've merged the two threads on the same topic, so responses might seem to not quite follow on as you remember. The duplicate post (this one with photos) is a few posts down]

1 minute ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Just looking at the weather forecast and trying to work out timings. 

Cottages came down today - it was thrilling. An 8 tonne digger made mincemeat of them.

any photos? Timelapse video? everyone loves to see stuff being smashed up!

• Like 1

5 degrees usual limit, 3 degrees air temp absolute minimum.

Main things are is that the concrete itself is over 5 degrees, the ground isn't frozen, that temperatures are rising when you pour and you have a way to protect the pour from frost. 10:30 is a good target time if the site gets the sun. 

Blockwork you can start 48 - 72 hours after. If there are points loads should be waiting for at least 7 day cure time. 

Build plenty of slack into the programme for path critical things...

• Thanks 1

Edit to add the requested pics,the last one is obviously from today. Wood etc was stripped before it was tumbled, I had it boarded over christmas because I was concerned a child could get in. 

The last pic was at the end when the discussion was re the fill and considering levelling up the garden at the front. Up to now you would need a rope on your back when using a lawnmower. The old driveway was to the front left but you would need a tractor to get up it. Total clutch wrecker.

I will try and pull some footage too.

20220923_165654 (1)-min.jpg

20230113_115422 (2)-min.jpg

20230116_150138 (1)-min.jpg

Edited by jack
Merging...
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

The last pic was at the end when the discussion was re the fill and considering levelling up the garden at the front. Up to now you would need a rope on your back when using a lawnmower. The old driveway was to the front left but you would need a tractor to get up it. Total clutch wrecker.

20220923_165654 (1)-min.jpg

20230113_115422 (2)-min (1).jpg

20230116_150138 (1)-min.jpg

That’s some plot! Well done. I look forward to following your journey. 

thanks for the photos. I can’t wait until we’re finished and can demolish our bungalow. 

• Like 1