Moisture in passivhaus bathrooms - storing towels?

13 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

I kept our towels in our last house and our caravan bathroom (which gets uber steamy) in the bathroom. 

Never noticed them damp. 

Truly damp is another thing but damp enough to form mould is another...

6 hours ago, puntloos said:

So, if you have a proper passivhaus bathroom, with MVHR extracting properly, will it still be on the 'damp' side? 

It used to be wise not to store your towels in a bathroom but at this point, is that still true?

Not a chance! My clients all report the towels drying out very quickly, zero damp / dampness, tea-towels drying out quickly in kitchen etc.

A good shower will still make the room 'steamy' but then it goes away quickly along with any residual moisture. You have to remember that the airflow is constant throughout the house so nothing gets a chance to loiter about, but this can affected by how thoughtfully the air valves were positioned. Some designers will install next to the doors, which doesn't promote airflow across the whole room as well as placing the valve at the furthest point away from the door does.

As with most things; "done poorly = performs poorly", but I've not heard anyone having such issues to date. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 2

No our bathrooms are never "damp" and the towels stored on the shelves in them are dry when you pick them up.

As others say, the constant air changing with the MVHR results in a very nice internal atmosphere the air is always fresh and dry, but not too dry.

A properly insulated house with mvhr, just forget all notions of "damp" you had from old houses.

As above - Having now lived with MVHR I think you'd have to be mad not to do it. 

Bathroom does get steamy but clears away relatively quickly. We have a clothes airing rail below a supply vent and most washing will be dry within 12 hours. 

Generally the environment is pleasant. That combined with steady temperatures as a result of airtightness and decent insulation levels. 

House is only half finished too - MVHR isn't even setup properly yet! :)

• Like 1