How deep is your hallway coat cupboard/wardrobe?

Adsibob

Ours has been designed at an internal depth of 550mm. It will just be for coats and outdoor stuff. It is almost 2m wide and full height (with drawers for shoes and boots underneath and too hung cupboards on top. It would be much more convenient for the layout of our hallway if we could reduce the 550mm dimension slightly. How much can we reduce it by before this gets to feel cramped?

Ours is 600 deep as our kitchen fitter made them out of the same carcasses he used for the kitchen.  Our kitchen/dining/living room has a 1.8m wide opening to the hall (no doors) so the storage unit matches the kitchen units & island.

Anything less than 600 would be too tight for winter coats.

Yes, I was thinking about that. I have an ikea wardrobe which is 580mm deep internally and it's just big enough for even the biggest outdoor coat i have. So I'm thinking that an alternative is to arrange the wardrobe as being wider but shallower and turning the orientation of the hanging rails. Not as practical though, as you can't see very far behind the first couple of coats at the front.

12 hours ago, Blooda said:

Assuming you are having a rail - given it it 2m wide can you turn them round.  at 400 depth this would give you 800 length of rail but you should have enough head room to have 2 rails each side.  

image.thumb.png.ed4901535b69ea3b640379d755777453.png

This is pretty much what we are doing!