Garage electric roller door installation, plumb level issues

owen83

Hi

I am installing an electrical roller garage door. 

The guide rails will be installed on the inside of the garage so they won't be visible.

My issue is that both side of the opening are not Plumb or level.

One side you place the guide rail to the bottom brick and it runs out by arround 20mm

And the other side is the same but runs out at the bottom

I am not sure what would be the best way to attach the rails so they are plum as its quite a big run out.

Was thinking of placing a piece of wood the hole height and packing out allowing the rail to be attached to a plumb service 

Attached some photos 

Thanks 

20230103_133109.jpg

20230103_133114.jpg

Edited by owen83

• owen83 changed the title to Garage electric roller door installation, plumb level issues

It is essential that the top of the door is horizontal, otherwise it will twist in use and gradually distort.

Also that the runners are parallel all the way down (in the width of the door), or it will stick.

Not lining up with the walls is unimportant. 

Once it is up and running, you might need draught strips and/or a waterproof seal at the bottom.

23 minutes ago, Radian said:

Silly question, how reliable is your assessment of 'out of plumb'? If it's just using a spirit level on end I'd get a second opinion from an actual plumb line and bob weight. Or a self levelling laser.

Thanks today I used my self leveling lazer level which showed it runs out by 24mm 

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

A string with a nut tied on the end. More certainty than with a laser, and works in full daylight. Also doesn't require a surface to shine onto.

Thanks I used later level today 

20230105_143008.jpg

Don't get fixated on being plumb. As already stated it is vital the roll is dead horizontal, and it is vital the guides remain a constant distance apart and 90 degrees to the roll, so nice and plumb in that plane, but the plane you are looking at with your level does not really matter.