Digging new gas and water line

J Pearse

Hi,

Moved into a 1930s semi property with lead water pipes and an old capped gas line.  As such planning to dig a new trench and lay a new MDPE water pipe to the correct specifications, then once signed off backfill this and get the gas company to lay the gas line in the same trench.

My question is, where in the picture would you advise digging the trench? Either way it's through a concrete driveway and will pass under a rainwater drain. Itll either enter the property though a small porch or through the garage. One option is to expose the current pipes but that'll impede digging and I'm not sure if you can cut though and remove the old gas pipe even though I'm told it's "dead" and been turned off.

I'm hoping at 75cm depth I'll be able to pass under the foundations and not need to drill through it. Failing that I wonder if I could come up higher once in the porch or garage and just knock out a brick or two to get into the house. I'm assuming this would be okay as long as it's insulated.

Any advice appreciated!

Jack 

IMG_20230103_134954.jpg

1 hour ago, J Pearse said:

if you can cut though and remove the old gas pipe even though I'm told it's "dead" and been turned off.

I asked a gas plumber I knew and they advised just to cut it with a disc cutter, as there would be no gas in it. Which I did and am still here.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you looked at getting this done for free under the lead replacement scheme. 

That only covers replacement on the public land. Ie hooking you up to the mains. Doesn't seem to cover for any work on private land.