Barn style design

7 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

These designs with all the glass etc are very expensive to build are they now? Cost is a big factor as well as design ill attach a pic i saw on the rob roy website of one with an arch it doesnt look that bad does it?

Screenshot_20230107-135625_Chrome.jpg

Yes a nice looking house would suit a wooded environment. Arch looks great. More complicated roof so adds to the cost. 

Edited by Kelvin

8 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Yes a nice looking house would suit a wooded environment. Arch looks great. More complicated roof so adds to the cost. 

It seems to be that people either love or hate these arches im still on the fence🤔 but yes the roof etc would make this design to costly for myself

28 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

That arch looks well integrated into the design. The pic you posted just looked like two arches added for the sake of it

Ok do you think it could improve it if i just had one arch as a feature and normal window on the other side? Anything else you can think to improve the existing design before i consider scrapping it?

One arch wouldn’t work either imo. 

I don’t like the design of it generally. To make it look less like a new estate house you could do a mixture of white render and wood cladding. We drove over to Loch Rannoch today and passed several new builds all of which were barn/Longhouse style. Get something like that designed and you should achieve planning. 

2 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

One arch wouldn’t work either imo. 

I don’t like the design of it generally. To make it look less like a new estate house you could do a mixture of white render and wood cladding. We drove over to Loch Rannoch today and passed several new builds all of which were barn/Longhouse style. Get something like that designed and you should achieve planning. 

https://scotframe.co.uk/house-style/pheasant/ something like this you mean, do you reckon that would be more cost effective to build than my current design? my wife doesnt like the wood cladding what do you think of one of these clad in sandstone instead?

thanks

Just now, Amateur bob said:

what do you think of one of these clad in sandstone instead

I think it is beyond budget. perhaps allow an extra £20,000? Just guessing: best find a local who knows.

That is assuming brick-like stone blocks are readily available.  please don't consider man-made fake stone.

7 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

We drove over to Loch Rannoch today and passed several new builds all of which were barn/Longhouse style

That is what you need to be doing. Not necessarily Loch Rannoch, but your own area as Perthshire is big and very varied. You may even find a builder on a site and can ask about costs, incl stone.

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

I think it is beyond budget. perhaps allow an extra £20,000? Just guessing: best find a local who knows.

That is assuming brick-like stone blocks are readily available.  please don't consider man-made fake stone.

That is what you need to be doing. Not necessarily Loch Rannoch, but your own area as Perthshire is big and very varied. You may even find a builder on a site and can ask about costs, incl stone.

really i thought this was a very basic cheap design?? yes ive been driving around today theres quite a variety of designsone thing i noticed though most new builds seem to have rooms in the roof and dormer windows, mostly just done in white render cladding

@Amateur bob

If you are insistent on building your already rejected (x2 ?). designs, or tweaks to to them you can.   By buying another building plot. Not being on a farm namely.

If you can only build on your family farm plot you have two clear options:

1.  Continue as you are doing by trying to pursue a standard designed house that is in contravention of planning policy, in contravention of planning officers advice, contrary to the local vernacular, and all the good advice you have been provided with here in this forum by people who have been in your shoes and successfully built in rural areas.  All your design & planning fees will be lost and the delays will result in your building costs increasing by perhaps 5-10% per year until you can’t afford to build anything that you could get through planning when you finally realise they won’t let you build what you want to.

2.  Follow the advise of the planners, and the consistent advice provided here now over 6 pages.   Which I won’t repeat.  Start again.  The sooner you listen to the following message, the better for you.

image.png.9769b59aead4dd743735a5dacd6e8b04.png

1 minute ago, Bozza said:

@Amateur bob

If you are insistent on building your already rejected (x2 ?). designs, or tweaks to to them you can.   By buying another building plot. Not being on a farm namely.

If you can only build on your family farm plot you have two clear options:

1.  Continue as you are doing by trying to pursue a standard designed house that is in contravention of planning policy, in contravention of planning officers advice, contrary to the local vernacular, and all the good advice you have been provided with here in this forum by people who have been in your shoes and successfully built in rural areas.  All your design & planning fees will be lost and the delays will result in your building costs increasing by perhaps 5-10% per year until you can’t afford to build anything that you could get through planning when you finally realise they won’t let you build what you want to.

2.  Follow the advise of the planners, and the consistent advice provided here now over 6 pages.   Which I won’t repeat.  Start again.  The sooner you listen to the following message, the better for you.

image.png.9769b59aead4dd743735a5dacd6e8b04.png

https://scotframe.co.uk/house-style/pheasant/ ive taken your advice on board and been looking at feasable alternatives and posted this earlier but was told it would most likely be outwith my budget? what are your thoughts bozza

thanks

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

https://scotframe.co.uk/house-style/pheasant/ ive taken your advice on board and been looking at feasable alternatives and posted this earlier but was told it would most likely be outwith my budget? what are your thoughts bozza

thanks

https://www.dan-wood.co.uk/en/projects/point-158a-e

See this link.  Simple barn style.  Replacing void with additional bedroom.  And this is turnkey.  As a comparison to not being a turnkey which is obviously cheaper.  Forget the layout, it’s the building size that’s relevant.   Speak to a local building company they’ll give you a better estimate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bozza said:

https://www.dan-wood.co.uk/en/projects/point-158a-e

See this link.  Simple barn style.  Replacing void with additional bedroom.  And this is turnkey.  As a comparison to not being a turnkey which is obviously cheaper.  Forget the layout, it’s the building size that’s relevant.   Speak to a local building company they’ll give you a better estimate.

Thanks ive seen this before do u reckon i could clad it in sandstone instead of wood that was the main think putting me off it

14 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

Thanks ive seen this before do u reckon i could clad it in sandstone instead of wood that was the main think putting me off it

no way on your budget.  That’s part of reason I dropped natural stone on my build even though I had loads of dressed granite on site.  Something sticks in my mind that the Danwood houses prices are based on render, not timber, which is extra.  You’d have to talk to them.  You may be able to have a splash of low level stonework though per previously discussed.    Get 100% sandstone out if your head Bob with your budget.  You have a tight but doable budget if you exclud sandstone as prominent material.  Think of a splash of sandstone at the most.  Very most.

you’re trying to understand how much stone cost.  Say a stonemason or builder spends 8 hrs on site.  How much are they going to charge for labour  ??? £200. £300?  How much can they build in that day ?  Maybes a sqm at ground level  ?  I don’t know.  And that excludes material costs.  You need to have an early discussion with a. Local stonemason or builder who can build with stone,

1 hour ago, Amateur bob said:

really i thought this was a very basic cheap design?? yes ive been driving around today theres quite a variety of designsone thing i noticed though most new builds seem to have rooms in the roof and dormer windows, mostly just done in white render cladding

Yes like we’ve been saying these are traditional Scottish cottages. They also often have blue doors.  

Edited by Kelvin

It’s also why 2 storey houses are hard to get through planning in rural areas. It can be done but would likely need to be well done/different etc. A standard square 2 storey is very unlikely. 

There’s a reason the Scottish based timber kit companies have so many room in roof dormer window houses or barn styles in their portfolios, they achieve planning. 

The point above on timing is really important. 8 weeks minimum to achieve planning (ours took 12 weeks). 12 weeks to achieve building warrant (we got ours in 8 right enough). That’s assuming no issues come up. Add in several more weeks for everything else. Let’s say 30 weeks minimum to get to a point where you can start building. It’s not likely to be this year. Meanwhile your money is worth maybe 10% less or you have to add another £25k. We started the process last March. We’ve made a basic start on the groundworks and the kit erection is planned for April. I’ve done everything I can to make it happen faster but have been thwarted by delay after delay. 

Edited by Kelvin

1 hour ago, Bozza said:

no way on your budget.  That’s part of reason I dropped natural stone on my build even though I had loads of dressed granite on site.  Something sticks in my mind that the Danwood houses prices are based on render, not timber, which is extra.  You’d have to talk to them.  You may be able to have a splash of low level stonework though per previously discussed.    Get 100% sandstone out if your head Bob with your budget.  You have a tight but doable budget if you exclud sandstone as prominent material.  Think of a splash of sandstone at the most.  Very most.

you’re trying to understand how much stone cost.  Say a stonemason or builder spends 8 hrs on site.  How much are they going to charge for labour  ??? £200. £300?  How much can they build in that day ?  Maybes a sqm at ground level  ?  I don’t know.  And that excludes material costs.  You need to have an early discussion with a. Local stonemason or builder who can build with stone,

Ok thats a good point about the stone i was told it didnt work out that much dearer than the render with stone features as it was just one trade i had to organise but it seems not so mabye ill need to just go back to white tender for the budget abut try and please the planners in other ways

26 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

It’s also why 2 storey houses are hard to get through planning in rural areas. It can be done but would likely need to be well done/different etc. A standard square 2 storey is very unlikely. 

There’s a reason the Scottish based timber kit companies have so many room in roof dormer window houses or barn styles in their portfolios, they achieve planning. 

The point above on timing is really important. 8 weeks minimum to achieve planning (ours took 12 weeks). 12 weeks to achieve building warrant (we got ours in 8 right enough). That’s assuming no issues come up. Add in several more weeks for everything else. Let’s say 30 weeks minimum to get to a point where you can start building. It’s not likely to be this year. Meanwhile your money is worth maybe 10% less or you have to add another £25k. We started the process last March. We’ve made a basic start on the groundworks and the kit erection is planned for April. I’ve done everything I can to make it happen faster but have been thwarted by delay after delay. 

Ok it looks like itll be at least a year before im realistically getting anywhere so ill need to try and please the planners with the design and get it passed does the design ive posted still look like a 2 storey it was meant to be 1 3/4?

33 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Ok it looks like itll be at least a year before im realistically getting anywhere so ill need to try and please the planners with the design and get it passed does the design ive posted still look like a 2 storey it was meant to be 1 3/4?