Tony Tray Q's

AD1

My build has started and bricklayers are on site, finally! 

For info it's a standard brick/block build and joists are 300mm posi @ 400 centres. 

I've been discussing with the builder the Tony Tray idea but need a few things clearing up; 

- Does the membrane only need to be fitted on the walls that the joists penetrate?  I've attached an image of the joist layout. 

- Which brand VCL membrane is best and does this need to be bonded to the wall plate before joists are installed?

Thanks,

AD

Screenshot_20221226_193749.jpg

Yes it’s around the exterior walls 

For the Tony tray to be effective you will have to stand over the bricklayers 

Tony tray and price work don’t go together It’s difficult enough to get Brickies to fit the pir correctly 

14 hours ago, nod said:

I thought  I could get someone to do it for me ..... nope. Its a 100% be-on-site-every-second-they-are-on-site job.

Luckily (in retrospect) on our site a wall collapsed: that exposed a series of sloppinesses  , the smallest of which was the total disregard for the Tony Tray. They couldn't have given a toss - even when they had been shown what to do.

Intello is probably the best for this purpose, very tough. https://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/product/intello-plus

(website chosen at random to illustrate the product not a recommendation to buy it from there)

I was lucky, I had not encountered a Tony Tray, but my builders had and it was they that suggested it and detailed it very well indeed (though they did not call it a Tony Tray)

ALL joints and folds will have to me perfectly detailed and taped with a good air tightness tape like Sega Sicrall or Tescon Vana.

On 26/12/2022 at 20:05, nod said:

Tony tray and price work don’t go together It’s difficult enough to get Brickies to fit the pir correctly 

I'll make sure I'm on site at this point .. 

Although, what should I be looking out for? 

Surely it's a very simple process, brick upto wall plate, lay the VCL on top, joists on, blocks in between and 1 course above joists, lap membrane over the top and continue with blockwork? I'll then later seal both ends to the internal blockwork. How can they mess that up?

Thanks for the recommendation on Intello, before I seen that post I was looking at Tyvek Housewrap, what's the opinion on using this?

AD

Edited by AD1

It is a simple process Cutting a cavity dpc with a Stanley knife is easy But you will still see Brickies using a trowel to cut 

Its just a case of making sure the tray isn’t bunched or ripped Then covered over