Flow rate at manifold - does not change

richie9648

Hi

Been trying to figure out how to change the flows on my manifold for a while now and whatever I do they don’t budge. Concerning the pic attached I got 3 loops for one zone. Each loop is around 90m. I thought rule of thumb is flow rate is run size divided by 40 so flow should be around 2.5ish

ive turned the flow gauge clockwise a couple of times but not moving at all. Any other suggestions? The rooms heat up fine but take a while like with any ufh system. 

BA408B02-990D-4B8C-B0B4-2A69D8388C49.jpeg

First turn the heating off completely so all pumps stop, and confirm the flow meters all return to 0.  It is not unknown for them to stick.

Any change you make to flow rate by rotating the flow meters should register immediately.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

First turn the heating off completely so all pumps stop, and confirm the flow meters all return to 0.  It is not unknown for them to stick.

Any change you make to flow rate by rotating the flow meters should register immediately.

hi - yes I can confirm they all go back to zero when I switch off the ufh. 

does anyone know the make of the manifold? Can’t see a manufacturer name on it unfortunately 

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

I don’t really know how these things work but I opened another zone and the flow for that went straight to 5 and the other 3 loops which were open went down to 3 automatically - is that normal? 

image.jpg

110m is usually the max for a run so the flow should never be over 2.75 on the flow meter. Did the plumber record the length of each loop anywhere. They usually write them on the wall above each loop. With each of them open that much there is no way your pump can force that much flow round your floors.

It's easier to do it loop by loop. So pick room and by using whatever temp control you have make it call for heat and adjust the flow to no more than 2. Do this for each loop one at a time and then see where you stand. 

With ufh it's always better to run it longer at a lower temp than shorter at a higher temp. I have mine set to 40 degrees and it will take it roughly 2hrs to increase any floor by 1 degree. 

15 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

110m is usually the max for a run so the flow should never be over 2.75 on the flow meter. Did the plumber record the length of each loop anywhere. They usually write them on the wall above each loop. With each of them open that much there is no way your pump can force that much flow round your floors.

It's easier to do it loop by loop. So pick room and by using whatever temp control you have make it call for heat and adjust the flow to no more than 2. Do this for each loop one at a time and then see where you stand. 

With ufh it's always better to run it longer at a lower temp than shorter at a higher temp. I have mine set to 40 degrees and it will take it roughly 2hrs to increase any floor by 1 degree. 

Yes I’ve got all the measures but when I twist the flow gauge there is no change on the flow rate. Just to confirm I turn it clockwise to decrease the flow right? 

17 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

do you just have it on all day then? 

16 hours ago, richie9648 said:

Yes I’ve got all the measures but when I twist the flow gauge there is no change on the flow rate. Just to confirm I turn it clockwise to decrease the flow right? 

Nothing happens at all no matter what way you turn it?? 

I run mine for around 4 hrs each day as the house only drops around 1 degree overnight.

9 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Nothing happens at all no matter what way you turn it?? 

I run mine for around 4 hrs each day as the house only drops around 1 degree overnight.

Yes that’s correct - nothing happens on the flow meter when I twist it clock or anti clockwise 

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem.

It does not matter if I close or open the flow meter - it's always the same (full flow).
The heating works.

If I try to open/close the actuators I can see the flow change.

The problem is that I cannot limit the flow.

Is it possible that all flow meters are faulty? (very unlikely but I don't know what else to try)

closed_flow.jpg