Confused about what this means

CalvinHobbes

I have adhd so sometimes things can read a bit strangely to me. So we haven't done any contract for the actual build yet. Meeting qs and architect to get it and other paperwork done including notification for it to properly start in Jan. Asked the builder we think we will use to come in, secure site (a few windows have had stones thrown at them) help me get a security camera up and dig a trench so we can get temporary consumer unit in and also plan for welfare unit etc. I had already myself removed fruit trees,sheds, brambles, hedges, doors, kitchen, skirting etc in frustration at the delays. So asked him to tidy some left over debris from that too. He suggested he could get the roof tiles down. I know the big digger will tumble cottage in Jan and do foundations etc but would taking the tiles now off be counted as demo? Quite a few are loose or fallen already. Thinking if there was a high wind it might be safer to have had them off. (He was a roofer for 20+ years). Also if its just him and 2 others for a few days or a week in this standalone basis is it notifiable now?  I want to keep things right. Tbh my main worry was I don't want children in when no one is around over Christmas holidays. I needed it secure. I just don't know if the wording refers to a stage or the whole thing. 

Screenshot_20221208-022613_Chrome.jpg

Edited by CalvinHobbes

2 hours ago, Conor said:

You're not a notifiable project.

Re demolition, ensure the contractor has demolition cover as I can guarantee you your own self build won't.

Plus 1

Lots of the bumf out there doesn’t apply to single private builds 

Securing the site is a must 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Provided you are a Domestic Client (thats really important) your project is NOT notifiable. 

Here's the definitive guidance. (HSE).  For further reassurance you can also read this thread on this board (about CDM 2015)

@nod's point about keeping the site secure is the key issue for you, I would think.

The OP is in Northern Ireland, which of course has its own version of CDM which is different from the GB one. Mostly the same, but main one is CDM obligations apply to ALL construction projects - in wording anyway, practical reality is a bit different.

@CalvinHobbes I reccomemded you have a chat with Charlene Meeke who can do a site audit, provide document templates, guodence. Think that only cost a couple hundred quid I think. It'll still take you a bit of time to get your documents etc.

Come to think of it, I'm done with all my site signage, yours free to collect if you want.

• Like 2

Part 4 of the regulations are the actual how to run a safe project (stable structures, shore excavations etc). So long as that is adhered to then the administrative parts are less of a concern for domestic scale work. Unlikely to be notifiable and any work you do as DIY wouldn't count towards that total. 

Beware when directing work as you can stray from being a Client into being a Contractor. Especially if overriding a contractor's measures to control health and safety risks. Seek advice if unsure as a bit of money on competent engineering or H&S input could save a larger sum later on. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, George said:

Beware when directing work as you can stray from being a Client into being a Contractor. Especially if overriding a contractor's measures to control health and safety risks. Seek advice if unsure as a bit of money on competent engineering or H&S input could save a larger sum later on. 

Exactly. This almost caught me out. All works must be supervised... So I had to make sure anybody coming on site not only had their own insurance, but were self sufficient and only needed drawings / spec etc. I wanted to employ a labourer directly but couldn't as I'd be supervising them and then assume a load of responsibilities and liabilities. Got around it by the spark employing him. 

Your self build insurance will be setout in a similar way and may not cover you for works you direct as competency is questionable.

• Like 1

Really good points, thank you -  very appreciated. I will indeed be careful about straying from being a client into being a contractor.*Note to self

So Conor were you officially a project manager for your site?I think I have to do it.  I think the qs has a local h& s consultant lined up for me, I will find out tonight. Thank you for the recommendation though, if he hasn't I will call her. I think I have all the signs too but the offer was very decent of you.

Edited by CalvinHobbes

46 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Really good points, thank you -  very appreciated. I will indeed be careful about straying from being a client into being a contractor.*Note to self

So Conor were you officially a project manager for your site?I think I have to do it.  I think the qs has a local h& s consultant lined up for me, I will find out tonight. Thank you for the recommendation though, if he hasn't I will call her. I think I have all the signs too but the offer was very decent of you.

Not for the main build - I had a contractor in to do all the main works and under the CDM rules he assumed role of contractor. I was client. I assumed role of contractor/designer along with client when the main build ended and I was getting individual trades in and paying them directly. 

Make sure you get this all agreed in writing when the main works start. So anybody on site working is your builder's responsibility.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2022 at 08:27, Conor said:

Exactly. This almost caught me out. All works must be supervised... So I had to make sure anybody coming on site not only had their own insurance, but were self sufficient and only needed drawings / spec etc. I wanted to employ a labourer directly but couldn't as I'd be supervising them and then assume a load of responsibilities and liabilities. Got around it by the spark employing him. 

Your self build insurance will be setout in a similar way and may not cover you for works you direct as competency is questionable.

Well... Only 'appropriately' supervised. 

An experienced worker doing a relatively straightforward task wouldn't need any direct supervising (assuming SKE, time and materials needed to do the work safely).

But yeah, certainly more straightforward to stay firmly as the client and get others to direct work.