Amount of light for workshop

joe90

Hi all, my workshop is nearly complete and you may remember that I asked about lighting on the last forum and the consensus was LED ribbons. Well my next question is how much light do I need?. The space is 7 meters by 9 meters with 3 meters height to rafters. I thought about 5 meter LED ribbons on every other rafter ( 500mm spacing  7 meters long ) or  every third rafter.  The benches ( one for woodwork and one for engineering ) will have their own direct lighting over them). I know these ribbons require DC input at each end. Any help would be appreciated and in particular any good suppliers or recommended kit ( good protected transformers to reduce RF interference).

I have no broadband on site and ST visited me and kindly worked out how I could use my phone as a mobile hot spot to give me a signal to use my iPad on site but I have found that the only way to get a decent signal is to sit on my van roof and it is still slower than wi fi.!!!. So access to this forum will be sketchy when on site ( I have come home for a few days to rest :). ) when the workshop is finished I will post a picture. 

Nice to be back guys.

The powerful LED strips need a lot of current and are very bright.  Three across a 4m width seems more than adequate for me.  I've found the best way to fix them is to paint or prime the surface, then stick on a length of 50mm wide aluminium tape (the stuff used to join insulation sheets), rub the aluminium tape down well and then stick the LED strip down the centre of the line of tape.  This makes the LED strip adhere better and also seems to make the strip run a bit cooler, which in turn helps the self-adhesive backing stay fixed.

For power supplies, I've used ventilated aluminium cased 12V supplies, wall mounted.  The bright 5630 strip needs about 3A per 5m length at 12V, and I opted to use three 5A supplies, like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-IP67-Waterproof-LED-Transformer-Driver-Power-Supply-CCTV-240V-DC-2A-5A-/291663843407?var=&hash=item43e885104f:m:mp4HSAn6fw0MWK4ZUIErztg

I ran lengths of 1.5mm² T&E cable above the ceiling to feed the far end of each strip (I've used the full 5m on each roll) joined to either end of the strip and then with single 1.5mm² T&E feeds  running to the power supplies, inside a length of conduit where they come down the wall.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally ordered the lights, 5 off 5630 5 meter lengths with shrouded power supplies as per Jeremys advice, however their spec page says each 5meter length runs at 6amp ( 72 watts) and no mention of power to both ends of the strip? Is it ok to power from one end like they say?

They definitely run far better with power at both ends, plus the little 3A wire on the ends doesn't get warm!  There is a fair voltage drop down a 5m length of the super bright stuff I found, hence the reason I fitted wires at both ends, to halve this.

• Like 1

There is most definitely a significant voltage drop along the length if you don't feed the high power stuff from both ends if using the full 5m length, as the track sizes down the strip are tiny, so if fed from one end the power tracks at the end the power is fed from are running at over their safe limit, so they get warm and they cause most of the voltage drop.  Feeding the length from both ends halves the current in the feed tracks at the end.

If anyone else wants LEDs and drivers from EBay I can recommend "Dream-led2013", I even changed my order at the last minute and he sent it without even waiting for the extra £8 to be sent to him.

• Like 1

well it was all going so well, got the workshop all wired and decided a coat of undercoat and gloss paint on the timber rafters after sanding ( it was more like planed wood rather than sawn) would be sufficient for the LED ribbon to adhere too with its sticky back,.  Wrong. :(, first ribbon duly peeled off after about two minutes).  I should have copied Jeremy with the aluminium foil tape, I hope a thin bead of CT1 ( after seeing the utube video on here) will stick the ribbon now that it's sticky side has collected dust from the floor.  Just a warning for others contemplating making the same mistake.