Windy Days - Temp Drop Normal Or Draughts?

soapstar

Hi Folks,

Upon paying closer attention to our energy usage and ways to save on heating in our new build I cant help but notice the temperature in one of our spare bedrooms drops rapidly when the wind picks up. Is this normal for a new build and comparable to anyone else here?

I have attached screenshots of the actual room temp from our heatmiser stat in the room plus data from a very local weather station. You can see exactly the time the wind picks up at 5am the temperature literally plummets around 2 degrees in around 5 minutes. The hallway outside only drops approx 0.3 degrees in the same time span.

To me this show a definite flow/draught coming in/out of this room when the wind picks up - or is this normal? 

Note the room in question is north facing with one north facing window.

Room Temp.jpg

Humid.png

Temp.png

Wind Dir.png

Wind.png

I have found very little correlation between weather and internal temperature.

There is a general trend of the house getting cooler as the external temperature drops, but wind speed and direction don't affect it much, same with solar gain.

My place is a terrace so less exposed area, but as it is small, it should react faster.

Just now, ProDave said:

Who built the house? (assuming not a self build by you)

Is that room thermostat by a door or a window?

Is that room a "room in roof"?

Built by contractor.

The thermostat is actually beside the door, which leads out to the hallway (temperature did not change much in hallway) - the door was left open into this room. This makes me think would this create a 'tunnel' and amplify any draught given the door was not fully open. Perhaps a draught from the stove in living room down hallway making its way into the room? Although for any draught to form there needs to be an escape (window vent perhaps?)

Room is not in the roof, ground floor.

No immediate temp changes in any adjacent room (hallway, bathroom, other spare bedroom).

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I have found very little correlation between weather and internal temperature.

There is a general trend of the house getting cooler as the external temperature drops, but wind speed and direction don't affect it much, same with solar gain.

My place is a terrace so less exposed area, but as it is small, it should react faster.

House is quite exposed - coastal and detached

Our house is like a blood sieve at the moment. Whilst the stat doesn't seem to drop that quickly, it feels noticeably cooler when it's windy. I hope this is rectified once we install wall insulation, which in-turn should make it air tighter too. 

3 hours ago, soapstar said:

the wind picks up at 5am the temperature literally plummets around 2 degrees in around 5 minutes.

Great to see your weather data plots. But doesn't the plot show the wind suddenly increasing at 4:30?

By 5:00 it looks to have been pretty much the same strength for half an hour, and while the temperature was dipping a bit during that period, it suddenly went off a cliff edge at something like 5:10

I'm not so sure there's a correlation with wind strength there. It's almost as though the wind direction is having a greater effect - it veers around to the South, and a little way past to SE when the temperature drops 2oC in about 5 minutes. Could it be creating a low pressure in this room which draws down air from the roof space?

Here is what I measure and chart.

Frequency is the wind direction, so when from the North, and the house and outside is coldest, it is about 8% of the time.

West wind is when the house is warmest, but that is about 2% of the time.

North wind is very slow, SW is very fast,

Generally sunniest when the wind comes from between the West and NNW, SW winds are dreadful for sunshine, it is raining then.  It rains a lot, except this year.

image.thumb.png.081e55244fc2eb02e82394cbfe9807e7.png