The joys of skirting

cwr

If there's one thing I'm learning about fitting skirting and architrave it's that I enjoy it even less than I thought I would 😤.

The plasterers have left an inconsistent and slightly flared out surface near the floor which is a right pain to deal with.

How do others deal with this? Do you chisel back the plaster and remake a good surface to attach to? Or set the skirting vertical and fill the gap between its top edge and the wall later? Or just fire it on and be done, somehow making the corners look ok with more filler?

Am I being too particular?

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/11/2022 at 16:16, Chanmenie said:

Don’t you just love lazy plasterers 

As much as I love fitting skirting!

In fairness, am finding that it maybe doesn't have to be as perfect as I originally aimed for, a few gaps filled and all painted and looks grand. 

• Like 1

As a retired builder who has fitted loads of skirting I agree, usually plasterers sweep up from the floor leaving thicker plaster at the floor level, it got to the stage where I told plasterers to make sure this did not happen and I finally found one that understood (and he became my go to bloke). I also don’t like proud plaster around door frames, makes fitting the architrave difficult. (Rant over)

• Like 1

So I must be the only one that used an old chisel to chip away the proud bits of plaster to allow my skirting to fit nicely, rather than complain about it? 

My take on plasterers, most concentrate on getting 99% of the wall flat and smooth, and don't or can't attend to all the detail like some of the edges and around electrical boxes.  They leave that for the decorator to sort out. (but the plasterer that filled the electrical back boxes one one job deserved the sack)

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

So I must be the only one that used an old chisel to chip away the proud bits of plaster to allow my skirting to fit nicely, rather than complain about it? 

No, I'm the same. That said, I suspect I am cursing and badmouthing the plasterer for the duration though... 

• Haha 1