Pretty pissed off and scared

hendriQ

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You can buy decent smoke pellets in Toolstation and Screwfix - just chuck 3 or 4 together and light them and shut the door - you can then see outside what the draw is like and if the joint leaks. 

I take it from this that the fact that the so called “professional” examining @hendriQ’s installation used a scrap of cardboard rather than pellets is further evidence of his incompetence?

• 1 month later...

According to Stovefitters they never use putty on the joins of stove pipes. Should always be pulling air. In any case I can see expansion possibly cracking fire putty, they always use a couple of self tappers to join two stove pipes, but here it should have a proper twin wall adapter. Does it?

dinak-1.jpg

P.S. Do you have a temperature gauge on the single wall pipe?

So I finally figured out the problem. It was pretty incredible really. A second fitter came after the first installation failed and “fixed it” with the “missing  fire cement”. 

Then it failed again and he came back, together with two other people from his company AND a rep from the stove manufacturer.

None of those 4 so called professionals spotted that the baffle was missing from the top of the fire box until I said: “could the problem be anything to do with this”, pointing at a rectangle of dense insulation that was still in the box and explaining that “I asked the original installer what this was for, but he said it was ‘probably just to protect the stove during transit’ but that didn’t sound right to me, so I kept it.”

At that point, the manufacturer rep, says “well that’s the baffle, the installer clearly didn’t check the installation manual as that makes clear how this should be installed”. He showed me in the manual. At this point I asked what the purpose of the baffle was and I was given a list of various benefits, including that it keeps most of the heat in the stove, so that it can warm up your room, rather than letting too Much heat get into the flue pipe.

Clearly, without the baffle the flames were getting into the pipe and over heating the connection between the adaptor and the flue pipe. It was that join which was leaking.

Bloody morons. I feel like I should complain to HETAS about these cowboys.

Still waiting for them to bring a replacement adaptor and do the installation for a third time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1