Outward or inward door for security

puntloos

My earlier design had an outward opening french door, but I'm told: "most doors need to be inward swinging to meet PAS 24 (security) and we overlap the outside of the frame with insulation to improve the installed U value"

Does that make sense? an inward swinging door makes a lot of space unusable (anything in the swing radius) so not ideal. 

See pic of my version and the proposal overlaid.

image.thumb.jpeg.dbf70c3e3e8c799c832511fea07d304b.jpeg

I never got why external doors open inwards. Security would seem to be even better for outward opening doors in some respects: try kicking your way out of an inside opening door for example. I can only guess it's to do with the shielding of locking gear and hinges. Things that could be made secure in other ways.

Sounds like nonsense to me. Our 3 French doors all open outwards, I'm pretty sure there's no particular security issue with them.

(There used to be a potential issue with exposed hinges where the hinge pins could be knocked out, but there are lots of ways of mitigating that.)

Our front door opens inwards and demonstrates a downside of inward opening doors;  it is exposed to the weather and quite a lot of water drips off it inside if there's been heavy rain.

An outward opening door is less reliant on seals to make it watertight, and might be good for an exposed to rain elevation?

On the other hand an outward opening door on a windy day is a very bad idea.

If you are talking of security as in someone breaking in, I doubt there is any difference.