Small wedge

dscoll

Hi

I'm building a cold frame for the garden, and I have to join 50mm batton's together at a shallow angle, see attached drawing.  How do I attach batton A to B without the frame being slightly twisted. It looks like I need a 45 x 3mm wedge but that doesn't look very easy to make as i'm just a diy'er.  Is there a better/simpler solution? 

909756024_framegap.jpg

@PeterW - Thanks for the suggestions. I've just tried cutting the top off B with a handsaw, as you suggested on a scrap piece of wood. It's not very easy as there's not enough wood to work with and he finished result wan't very good.

@Mr Punter - That's a good idea, except i've already cut the wood :(  and I have 4 cuts to make and not enough wood left. I have 2 of these frames to make, so I could use your method on the 2 x 300 pieces , as I have some off cuts left, but I would also need to cut 2 x 1500 pieces , which I don't have , so id need another trip to the timber yard.

42 minutes ago, dscoll said:

@PeterW - Thanks for the suggestions. I've just tried cutting the top off B with a handsaw, as you suggested on a scrap piece of wood. It's not very easy as there's not enough wood to work with and he finished result wan't very good.

For that shallow angle I would not cut it, but plane the top of B to the required angle.

Really easy and quick with an electric plane.

@ProDave - I tried to plane the angle with a normal plane but because it's against the grain it just made a mess. I do have an electric plane but whenever i've tried to use it it's gone wrong. Anyway, i'll give it a try on a piece of scrap wood and report back.

Was going to suggest just screwing it down loosely and filling the gap using something waterproof (e.g. stixall) before tightening the screws a bit when thoroughly cured. PU wood glue (in my experience) isn't particularly good outdoors.