Transition from sash to casement windows

jayc89

As part of our house renovation, we're trying to restore the original part of the property back to, near, original. Down the side elevation was originally a side entrance, which we believe was into the original kitchen. We plan to restore that, and put a boot room there instead. An old picture of the house, shows the kitchen window as being a casement window, whereas the others are all sash. Our Architect has proposed we do the same in our renovation, and his opinion is that "working rooms" were generally very different to habitable rooms, so the contrast would be fair, but our window fitter has expressed concerns that mixing sash and casement will look odd. 

As a, mass, third opinion, what says you? (The window in question is circled in green on the new elevations)

2113868701_Screenshot2022-11-03at11_08_02.thumb.png.b3392f419814065a9824da53f31c10c4.png

1484346754_Screenshot2022-11-15at08_17_00.thumb.png.2701f5f7622572ab2dd3c535eab096d5.png

• Like 1

It's quite difficult to view both elevations together, to really see the difference, in any case. In times past it was very common to have expensive posh stuff at the front. To my eye its more about the size of the glass panes. The sashes at the front look very correct and in keeping, whilst the modern extension bits look modern as they should. The transition areas which you are worried about look fine to me as the architect has drawn them.  Am I right in thinking you couldn't get those same proportions without altering the brickwork anyway? Plain glass without bars would definitely look wrong imo, but that may not be what you meant. 

Lovely house BTW

Edited by Jilly

My first thought is because that what was there doesn't mean it had to go back if it doesn't suit your needs.

Now I'm being nosey but what was the house first built for? Is the rear in the photo an extension, do you know? Cause if not I'd say that door isn't into a kitchen as it isn't far back enough. And if no then what was it used for?

38 minutes ago, ash_scotland88 said:

My first thought is because that what was there doesn't mean it had to go back if it doesn't suit your needs.

Now I'm being nosey but what was the house first built for? Is the rear in the photo an extension, do you know? Cause if not I'd say that door isn't into a kitchen as it isn't far back enough. And if no then what was it used for?

We're pretty sure it was original the kitchen. We unearthed the old chimney breast when laying the new floor slab. The rear is certainly an extension, we believe to be built approx. 30 years after the original building, still of solid brick construction. 

• Thanks 1