Snickers

Hi all

i know zero about house building and bricklaying so thought I would see if I could get some advice please 

we are just about to complete on a new build home by Bellway and this is the side of the house.

I have attached a photo of the side of the house and the brickwork.

is that normal? Is it likely to match up over time? Am I being too fussy to expect it to match up?

4BA2EEA9-74EA-494B-8F5C-C4C5346487ED.jpeg

Very common I’m afraid. Could be difference in moistures content for some reason, then it will even itself out. More likely they have used a different mix of mortar, in which case the difference might become less noticeable over time. I would be more concerned about what’s going on at the bottom of that wall. Is that the DPC sticking out?!

• Like 1

Years ago a neighbouring bungalow had the same effect on the gable. It was because the gable was built a few weeks later than the walls by a different team of brickies and the mortar mix was different. It never changed colour over time.

I’d very much doubt that Bellway mix mortar on site unless it is in a silo so most likely not a difference in mortar mix. I would think that the ‘white’ bit was caught in a heavy shower. Why not ask bellway if the next time they have brick cleaners on site if they could give your gable end another once over. 

7 hours ago, Gone West said:

Years ago a neighbouring bungalow had the same effect on the gable. It was because the gable was built a few weeks later than the walls by a different team of brickies and the mortar mix was different. It never changed colour over time.

This is to help stop the gable falling over (because the roof trusses get installed so the gable wall can be strapped back to the roof trusses as it goes up). So it's done for a good reason. 

• Like 2