Fixing F up

Pocster

Yes, yes, yes - the title is a clue.

Right at the start of my build ( in the dim and dark past now ) I had to construct some light wells ( they are external to the build ).

I've avoided doing anything with them as I can see they are a "pigs ear" as @Mr Punter would say.

They are no where near level or straight - so it's fix/bodge mode. TBH in reality you won't ever see any of this; so it's all good 🤣

This timber for example is level ( with the gap in! - the gap is wedged shaped so not consistent ) the block work is MUNG. Structural glazing will sit on this upstand so I'm not happy about packing it out with some skinny timber and window frame packers and then foam filling it ( that sounds too dodgy for even me ).

I was contemplating just doing a thick bed of cement on that off brick work and screw down the timber ontop of that until level. But timber against concrete externally ; not a good idea???

I then googled "expanding concrete " - you know like expanding foam - but structurally strong. I can but wish!

So best way to fix this ( there are a good few more like it also )???

Knew this would come back to bite me on the arse one day.

IMG_6863.jpg

Edited by pocster

On 14/11/2022 at 12:59, pocster said:

Structural glazing will sit on this upstand so I'm not happy about packing it out with some skinny timber and window frame packers and then foam filling it ( that sounds too dodgy for even me ).

How heavy is that and over what length of timber?

It looks like wallplate that's not bedded on mortar. Could you do that but with DPC or liquid DPC between the timber and mortar. If the latter, you could mix some sand into the bitumen/blackjack for 'grip' though not sure really needed as you have screws near 

Edited by MortarThePoint