Low iron glass

GreenGables

Hello,

Is it worth specifying low iron glass? I’m concerned about a possible greenish tint in my low e windows so I can go for a low iron option called DIAMANT to improve neutrality. I’m not sure how much more it costs but is it a good idea? My house is old and traditional looking. 

Thank you 

GG

2 hours ago, GreenGables said:

Hello,

Is it worth specifying low iron glass? I’m concerned about a possible greenish tint in my low e windows so I can go for a low iron option called DIAMANT to improve neutrality. I’m not sure how much more it costs but is it a good idea? My house is old and traditional looking. 

Thank you 

GG

Low iron glass is typically specificed in situations where you see the edge of the glass or the glass at an angle.  I don't think our windows are low-iron (@craig ?) , but we did specify low-iron gass for balustrades and bathroom shower screens.  I think it was around 50% more, maybe slightly more.

Edited by Dan F

It’s pretty standard in European units, not sure about here. Actually looking at Eclaz One II at the moment, brings the Ug down to about 0.46W/m2K but still using Argon and G value to about 0.44 need to check LT value (light transmittance).

Edited by craig

8 hours ago, craig said:

It’s pretty standard in European units, not sure about here. Actually looking at Eclaz One II at the moment, brings the Ug down to about 0.46W/m2K but still using Argon and G value to about 0.44 need to check LT value (light transmittance).

Ah, that explains why it isn't mentioned on the UK website. Ultra N looks similar to both XN and Eclaz II in terms of light transmittance and U value. I wish it were easier to choose the right glass! I'm going for Cool Lite SKN 183 on our south facing elevation. More expensive but hopefully worth it for the high LT and low g. 

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Here is a calculation for Cool Lite SKN 183 for your info. Always check with your supplier to obtain exact data.

Diamant-SKN183-4-18-4.pdf 591.71 kB · 1 download

@craig The original question was more to do with if it makes any sense to use Diamant (low-iron) product for glazing or not I think.  Does anyone ever order Diamant for external glazing?   I can't say I see a green tint in our windows, but I know the standard glass doesn't look great when used for shower screens and  balustrades where the edge is visible..

Edited by Dan F

4 hours ago, GreenGables said:

Ah, that explains why it isn't mentioned on the UK website. Ultra N looks similar to both XN and Eclaz II in terms of light transmittance and U value. I wish it were easier to choose the right glass! I'm going for Cool Lite SKN 183 on our south facing elevation. More expensive but hopefully worth it for the high LT and low g. 

The Eclaz wasn't on the UK website previously either.  We used the Eclaz because it had a higher LT than the XN.  We have external blinds though, if you don't have blinds higher LT, while a good think in winter will increase solar gain in the summer.

We have regular glass in the windows and low iron in the frameless showers.

It does make the edges of the glass in the showers look less green but otherwise no difference I can see.

You could always find a glass shop and ask for samples to look at.