UFH noisy (vid included)

vala

Up until a few days ago my UFH system has been working as intended and silent.

Then suddenly I started to notice a lot of noise coming from it, sounds more like at the pump end.

Spoke to Wunda and they expected this noise to be air related so I set about a couple of days ago and bled the system. A little bit of air came out, and upon restarting the pump and system is back to working, as far as I'm aware, correctly and silently.

Then this morning it's back to being noisy, I've attached a video in case anyone can offer any suggestions.

https://vimeo.com/769310848

@SteamyTea the system was making this noise late last week/over the weekend.

So on Monday the system was bled using a hose through the fill valve. No bits of pump came out during this process (I had the hose on the return go into the bath).

Wunda have messaged back and said the green light at the top denotes the system is in air purge mode but I don't think that's correct. I believe that just tells you the pump is running.

The air venting mode it has is indicated by a series of flashing light on the pump setting and pump speed lights.

Could just be a bit of solder that’s found it’s way into the impeller housing of the pump. 
Best to open the pump up and visually inspect the impeller housing and impeller blades, before continuing on with any further processes of elimination. 
A bit of solder / other debris will result in a quiet pump then becoming sporadically noisy. That situation occurs when the pump stops and the debris drops out of the housing, with gravity, then it eventually gets sucked back up into the pump and around you go. 
It’s that, or a failed / failing pump.
Air is not the culprit, I very much doubt that, unless it’s so bad that the pump is running bone dry. If it was, you’d have no flow registering on the manifold flow gauges. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
Massive thumbs
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the replies.

Got back home this evening, UFH is on and pump is back to being silent🤯🤯🤯

I'll check it again tomorrow morning to see if this may just be happening in the morning.

Assume this either now means it's not a damaged pump, or the piece which was causing problems has been forced around a loop???

36 minutes ago, vala said:

Thanks all for the replies.

Got back home this evening, UFH is on and pump is back to being silent🤯🤯🤯

I'll check it again tomorrow morning to see if this may just be happening in the morning.

Assume this either now means it's not a damaged pump, or the piece which was causing problems has been forced around a loop???

I reckon it’s debris. Even a tiny sliver of copper or solder can take days to grind down to a point that it’ll just ‘work it’s way through’.
Keep us posted please!

So situation first thing this morning with 1 zone calling for heat......silence!

🤯

Will get someone to monitor it during the course of the day, and then I'll do the same over the weekend.

Assume if I remove the 4 bolts on the front of the housing that will give me access to the impeller to check for any debris lodged in there?

*Update*

So pump has been silent since the 11th however I have noticed the flow rates have been between 0 and 1 (have checked with the loop lengths installed and 1 zone in particular should have a flow rate of 2 l/min).

Spoke to Wunda about this and they are now suggesting trying out the standard actuators so have sent some out in the post (may arrive next week).

I also spoke to Salus today who noted these actuators are very much fit and forget and have suggested upping the pump speed to 2 (was previously set at 1 due to only 4 ports on the manifold).

Once I changed the speed back again came a whole host of noises (sounded much like air) and the green and red flashing light on the pump. One reasoning for this according to the Wilo manual is air in the system. So I entered the venting mode, its done its thing and back to being silent on speed 2.

But I did notice some movement at the flow meters  during this venting mode and in particular little movement from one of the meters as shown in the video below. The zone for that flow meter also has been the one with little to no flow through it, yet is also the largest of all the loops.

Plan is now over the weekend at some point to get a hose pipe on it and see if there's any air in the whole system again.

But whilst I'm doing work to the system am thinking probably best to open up the pump and check for debris as per @Nickfromwales suggestion.

Can anyone confirm its just the 4 bolts on the front to be undone to view the impeller?