Underfloor heating finally working

Roger440

After more than 6 months since the floor went down, ive finally got it connected. Not me, a nice plumber chap.

Why have i never done this before. Bloody fantastic.

Everyone should have it!

Gratuitous before and after shots.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Edited by Roger440
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

After more than 6 months since the floor went down, ive finally got it connected. Not me, a nice plumber chap.

Why have i never done this before. Bloody fantastic.

Everyone should have it!

Gratuitous before and after shots.

IMG_0067.jpg

what is the mesh system ..? Not seen that before ..?

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

what is the mesh system ..? Not seen that before ..?

Because its old, ie 9 inch walls, no dpc etc, under that is a geocell/foamed glass bed. The chaps doing the limecrete that went over it put it there. Part of their system. I then laid the water pipes before they came back and laid the floor.

Compared to most of what goes on here, its a thermal catastrophe, but options were limited given the construction and the possibility of flooding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

what is the mesh system ..? Not seen that before

Yes that  new to me too.

It looks similar to a small grid geotextile fabric.

Now we put polypropylene firbres (usually non structural) in slabs to stop shrinkage. @saveasteading et al have posted lots about this. Plastic fibres in concrete slabs with UFH above.

Can see how this could work but would love to know more about this and see some data / calcs / design rational.

Every day is a school day on BH!

9 hours ago, Roger440 said:

Compared to most of what goes on here, its a thermal catastrophe, but options were limited given the construction and the possibility of flooding.

I just had to think about that for a moment and then it hit me. 200mm of PUR might be buoyant enough to 'float' a concrete screed. Maybe even 100mm.

What sort of power loss are you having to accept?

9 hours ago, Radian said:

I just had to think about that for a moment and then it hit me. 200mm of PUR might be buoyant enough to 'float' a concrete screed. Maybe even 100mm.

What sort of power loss are you having to accept?

PIR or similar was never an option anyway because of the lack of DPC in the walls, though yes, you could be right. Though the back half of the house is modern and that didnt float away!

The issue before i started was concrete slab over DPM creating wet walls with gypsum plaster over. Creating the same again wasnt happening. The arrangement is basically the same as this: https://www.lime.org.uk/products/sylfaenr-foundation-system.html

The walls are lime plastered both to allow the wall to breate, and also to allow it to dry if it gets wet in a flood.

I know there are wildly differing opinions on this, but removing the concrete/dpm and gypsum plater fixed all the damp issues in my house. quickly. I know what i see. But ultimately, keeping things damp free, and not not having to strip off plaster post flood meant that the thermal performance came a poor second.

No idea what the power loss is. Didnt worry about it as theres nothing i can do about it. Just concentrated on the detaling to make as  draught free as poss. For reference its a 9 inch wall with lime plaster on the inside and unknown render on the outside.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

Yes that  new to me too.

It looks similar to a small grid geotextile fabric.

Now we put polypropylene firbres (usually non structural) in slabs to stop shrinkage. @saveasteading et al have posted lots about this. Plastic fibres in concrete slabs with UFH above.

Can see how this could work but would love to know more about this and see some data / calcs / design rational.

Every day is a school day on BH!

See my post above.