Timber by a pack

oldkettle

Hi, 

I was looking for structural timber and found a company with prices well below everybody else (pretty certain they have been around for quite a few years). The catch is you can't collect and the delivery is only within a very limited area in London. So

1. Has anyone seen comparable prices? If not - are these "too good to be true"? 

2. Separately, there are a few sellers whose price is at least not 50% more (which is the case for the most others I could find), but they don't deliver to our area either. Is hiring one's own haulage service for say a 50 mile delivery a realistic option? Taking into account I'd have to trust the driver I don't know to deliver something worth way more than his fee from the place I have never been to? How does the seller know that they should load my hired truck? 

Not advertising this particular seller, but this looks quite good. 

47mm x 225mm Structural Graded C24 Treated Carcassing Timber 6000mm (9'' x 2'') Pack of 55 

£1,394.56 Inc VAT £25.36 Per Length

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/timber-sheets/carcassing-timber/treated-timber?product_list_order=price_desc

Paying about £32 inc for 9x2 C24 currently in 6m lengths so that’s  pretty good price. Downside is there will be about 1.8 tonnes and you would need a flatbed wagon as it’s likely fork lift loaded and your delivery costs will negate any saving. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, joe90 said:

So you can’t even arrange your own transport 🤔

Not to collect from the docks, which this specific company claims is the place of origin, no. I guess if I found somebody in London who had space and get the package delivered to them first, then pick up, this would be an option. Not completely impossible, but unlikely. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Paying about £32 inc for 9x2 C24 currently in 6m lengths so that’s  pretty good price. Downside is there will be about 1.8 tonnes and you would need a flatbed wagon as it’s likely fork lift loaded and your delivery costs will negate any saving. 

I was thinking about moffett delivery but can't get any estimates online. I had shingles delivered like this and it was very reasonably priced.

Actually, if the place you buy from delivers to Surrey I would certainly look into it as this is still way cheaper than most.

Edited by oldkettle

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Mounty will lift 1 tonne max and this is a 6m long pack - you would have to hand ball it off I expect. Do you really need 330m of 7x2..?

Not necessarily 7x2, it was just an example. And of course doesn't have to be 6m, will see what AT proposes for the roof, maybe 4.8m will do. Buying a third of the amount at twice the price would annoy me. 🙂

Of course hiab delivery is another option. 

Edited to add : their individual board prices are pretty good too. 

Edited by oldkettle

2 hours ago, Temp said:

I've not used them but Google found...

https://plumb.build/product/47-x-225mm-9-x-2-tanalised-carcassing-timber-c24-6m/1422

£1647 Inc Vat for 55 but includes free nationwide delivery 

Thank you. I have compared a few items vs Wickes, quite a difference. About three times cheaper! I am used to thinking you pay 20 or 50% extra for retail purchases, but didn't expect 150%+. 

On 06/11/2022 at 16:42, Temp said:

I've not used them but Google found...

https://plumb.build/product/47-x-225mm-9-x-2-tanalised-carcassing-timber-c24-6m/1422

£1647 Inc Vat for 55 but includes free nationwide delivery 

Checked them yesterday - actually tried to order. Their free delivery is £420 (!??) ☹️ Bulky items.

Back to the search. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been searching for decent prices on 9x2 and about a month ago I found the same website you found and was poundering the same question ( I can't collect from London). I came to the conclusion you might be able to get a similar price if you contact your local merchant and ask for a full pack. Prices are coming down but it seems there is still a lot of expensive stock still sitting in yards and they are also now used to charging a fortune for anything less that a full pack. Seeing quite a lot of reports of building sites shutting down as they can't sell houses at the moment so there is a lot of potential for downward pressure on price.

This is also the cheapest site I could find for OSB and sheet materials, handy for reference comparison for your sheet materials

https://sheetmaterialswholesale.co.uk/osb-3-board-18-x-1220-x-2440mm/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just paid £3.80 per metre plus vat for a pack of 10x2 c24

also had a quote for 9x2 c24 at £3.00 per metre.

both from jewsons had to buy a pack of 50 odd 4.8m lengths 

11mm osb was 15.99 plus vat for ten sheets, would be 13.99 plus vat if I bought a pack.

They seemed desperate for the order. 

Edited by gavztheouch
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gavztheouch said:

Just paid £3.80 per metre plus vat for a pack of 10x2 c24

also had a quote for 9x2 c24 at £3.00 per metre.

both from jewsons had to buy a pack of 50 odd 4.8m lengths 

11mm osb was 15.99 plus vat for ten sheets, would be 13.99 plus vat if I bought a pack.

They seemed desperate for the order. 

Wow, well done! 

I have actually ordered a few lengths as a birthday present for myself to play with. But 9x2 was about £5.10/m including vat... so 40% more than what they offered you. 

And can't find OSB18mm cheaper than 30 at Wickes taking delivery into account.

Need to finally try talking to jewsons then. 

Thanks! 

Edited by oldkettle

2 hours ago, oldkettle said:

Wow, well done! 

I have actually ordered a few lengths as a birthday present for myself to play with. But 9x2 was about £5.10/m including vat... so 40% more than what they offered you. 

And can't find OSB18mm cheaper than 30 at Wickes taking delivery into account.

Need to finally try talking to jewsons then. 

Thanks! 

Are you building your walls with 9x2?

1 hour ago, gavztheouch said:

Are you building your walls with 9x2?

Nope, as I said, just going to play with wood. Watching videos of professionals is inspiring, a lot of fun. Want to try and replicate at least something, for example, cut my own rafters for the outbuilding I still can't get the drawings for.