Downlights Fire rating

It is my understanding that downlighters have to be fire rated. Does this apply to all downlighters or only those below rooms on the floor above?

What is the current status on the fire spread risk created by air inlet and outlet valves on MVHR systems? Building regs appear not to have caught up with this and then what is the point of fire rated downlights if the air valve in the same room is going to allow a fire to spread in any case.

Good question ..! And what constitutes a downlighter these days as the LED panel ones appear to be solid aluminium. I plan to have a chat to my BCO about using those with an intumescent sealant as 4mm aluminium is much more than 30min fire resistant. 

I do plan to put a pair of fire stop valves in the MVHR for the kitchen extracts though - at about £15-20 they seem a decent addition.   

35 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

What is the current status on the fire spread risk created by air inlet and outlet valves on MVHR systems?

Strange. i just ordered two fire collars for the MVHR pipes. I think we actually need them as it is brick clad timber frame.section of the house.

I also ordered a couple of tubes intumescent sealer for the smaller ducts.

2 minutes ago, dogman said:

Strange. i just ordered two fire collars for the MVHR pipes. I think we actually need them as it is brick clad timber frame.section of the house.

I also ordered a couple of tubes intumescent sealer for the smaller ducts.

Can you provide a link the the products used?

7 minutes ago, dogman said:

@ryder72 i used tebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/antifire?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

they do both 2 and 4 hour collars 150mm

Thanks. I can see this will work when the air valves are fitted.

The downlighters we are using are sealed LED units and dont come with fire rating as standard. Special plates are available which create the barrier in case of fires. I was thinking maybe this acrylic sealant could do the job but if they need to be removed ever, it could get quite messy cutting out the sealant.