Most efficient way to run ashp

Jvh2012

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

You must have a predictable family routine?

with only 2 of us of course, and so will the majority of the other 9m (18m people) 2 person households in the UK (when they all get heap pumps!!!) so it's a potentially useful case study

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

You must have a predictable family routine?

2 good showers will empty our tank, and HW has to be available any time of day because "they" will shower at any time of  day that pleases them which is of course not always the same, so "sorry there is not hot water as it is before 3PM" would not cut the mustard here.

I have mine timed to come on at 11AM, on the basis there will be enough hot water from yesterday for one shower, and if someone has that early shower I manually turn the DHW on earlier.

Random showering times are at odds with trying to be efficient and cost effective.

finite supply is definitely the achilleas heal.

I've calculated we would need a bare minimum of 750L of hot water available at any time. 5 x power showers at 15L/min @ 10 mins ea more if the females are involved...

I like very much the mixergy tank as the primary 'boiler' with some sort of pumped system to move the heat to the other tanks dotted around....

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

finite supply is definitely the achilleas heal.

I've calculated we would need a bare minimum of 750L of hot water available at any time. 5 x power showers at 15L/min @ 10 mins ea more if the females are involved...

I like very much the mixergy tank as the primary 'boiler' with some sort of pumped system to move the heat to the other tanks dotted around....

I'm sure someone will point out that with a higher temperature of water in the hot water tank this reduces the volume used when mixed with cold, and therefore reduces the required storage. At 60°C storage and 45°C use my guess is about 30% cold water 

10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm sure someone will point out that with a higher temperature of water in the hot water tank this reduces the volume used when mixed with cold, and therefore reduces the required storage. At 60°C storage and 45°C use my guess is about 30% cold water 

looked at this, higher you want the flow temp the lower SCOP you get. I've also factored in waste water heat recovery which does help a lot, at least on paper.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave Jones said:

looked at this, higher you want the flow temp the lower SCOP you get. I've also factored in waste water heat recovery which does help a lot, at least on paper.

It's a lot of water.  I would also reduce tank heat loss by encasing in insulation (protecting electrical parts) in at least 200mm fluffy or equivalent.  

18 hours ago, HughF said:

Throw the timeclock and room stats in the bin, install Homely, set your room temperature...

Is Homely compatible with my heat pump?

Currently, Homely is compatible with the following heat pump brands:
  • Samsung (model number beginning with AE, manufactured post 2015)
  • Midea
We are always looking to expand the list of compatible heat pumps so please do check back if yours is not currently showing.

https://help.homelyenergy.com/knowledge/is-homely-compatible-with-my-heat-pump

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It's a lot of water.  I would also reduce tank heat loss by encasing in insulation (protecting electrical parts) in at least 200mm fluffy or equivalent.  

completely agree. current plan is to use the plant room where the tanks are as a major input to the mvhr so it can reclaim some of this heat and distribute around the house.

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

completely agree. current plan is to use the plant room where the tanks are as a major input to the mvhr so it can reclaim some of this heat and distribute around the house.

Good in the winter but not so controllable in the summer.

7 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Is Homely compatible with my heat pump?

Currently, Homely is compatible with the following heat pump brands:
  • Samsung (model number beginning with AE, manufactured post 2015)
  • Midea
We are always looking to expand the list of compatible heat pumps so please do check back if yours is not currently showing.

https://help.homelyenergy.com/knowledge/is-homely-compatible-with-my-heat-pump

2BE04EEA-7388-4738-AE63-921062F09FC4.png

13 hours ago, HughF said:

2BE04EEA-7388-4738-AE63-921062F09FC4.png

Hmmm, the conflicting information on the Homely site puts me off right away.

I think the key word here is 'compatible'.  My £90 wireless stat is 'compatible' with my  Ecodan in that it can connect to the controller and switch it on and off.  Homely can work like a standard room stat too and I suspect that's what the long list of compatible manufacturers refers to.    

I think the clever integration is currently only Samsung and Midea.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Kevm said:

Hmmm, the conflicting information on the Homely site puts me off right away.

I think the key word here is 'compatible'.  My £90 wireless stat is 'compatible' with my  Ecodan in that it can connect to the controller and switch it on and off.  Homely can work like a standard room stat too and I suspect that's what the long list of compatible manufacturers refers to.    

I think the clever integration is currently only Samsung and Midea.

Yeah it’s not ideal… I’ll get onto them and ask what’s going on.