Silent shaver socket required

Adam2

I have one of these looks fine (is in a bathroom cabinet we made) but it makes too loud a humming noise and feels a little warm. Have emailed supplier re changing.

Appreciate recommendations for a similar looking socket - ideally with USB connections but not critical but needs to be silent that you have used

It has USB sockets, so it WILL be consuming power all the time.  What on earth do you need USB sockets  in a bathroom for? what can you not manage for the time you are in there on battery power?

Old school shaver sockets had a switch that only powered the isolating transformer when something was plugged in, so nothing plugged in would be totally silent and not consume any power.

• Haha 1

It’s powering some kind of usb-charged water pick thing in one of the pics.

I’m contemplating one of those dual toothbrush charger points for a bathroom, but also thinking that a dual shaver socket and a shelf may be less likely to go wrong. (The toothbrush thing is also a landscape format hole, so can’t just drop a standard shaver point in if it proves unreliable)

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

What on earth do you need USB sockets  in a bathroom for?

Apparently the latest personal entertainment products use USB 🙂

More seriously, my electric toothbrush travel case has a USB connection for charging which is pretty handy. But really in the bathroom the product I choose looked nice and had the USB so I thought why not. I'd be very happy with a socket with a switch activated by plugging in a 2 pin plug to enable it. Hard to tell from product info online if they have this feature - also needs to look fairly contemporary. Supplier is great - will take back and return to the manufacturer as another customer also commented on the heat generated.

On 25/10/2022 at 11:37, Adam2 said:

I have one of these looks fine (is in a bathroom cabinet we made) but it makes too loud a humming noise and feels a little warm. Have emailed supplier re changing.

Appreciate recommendations for a similar looking socket - ideally with USB connections but not critical but needs to be silent that you have used

Every shaver point I've ever had hums and gets warm.....

The shaver socket we got from Screwfix back in 2007 seems quiet enough.  From 3ft away I cant hear it. If I put my ear 6" away I can hear a gentle hum.

Its got a chrome faceplate and has a toothbrush charger plugged in 24/7. Just unplugged it and it doesn't feel obviously warm to my palm, however if I compare it to the tile next to it the socket does feel less cold than the tile..  

Great news to report - the BG shaver sockets from Screwfix are silent and seem not to generate any heat - at least when not in use. They also have some nice colour options available. Possibly they also include some form of internal switch to only activate when used. When in use I didn't notice any noise just a small amount of heat

• 1 year later...
On 26/10/2022 at 11:17, ProDave said:

Old school shaver sockets had a switch that only powered the isolating transformer when something was plugged in, so nothing plugged in would be totally silent and not consume any power.

I wish they still made these. Not sure why they discontinued the old school ones.