First ever question -- Blocking out of steels???

Goody69

This is simple I'm sure but I cannot get straight in my head the timber sizes I need to block out some UB's so jiffy hangers can then be used to take existing joists (and new rafters to the outside).

I've had two 254x254x89UB's spec'd up by Engineer, one a beast at 6.10M long; plus a 203x133x25 internally.

These are being fitted Friday so I need them blocked out that morning.

I'm thinking:

203x133x25  = 175mm x 75mm (7" x 3") 

254x254x89  = 200mm x 75mm (8" x 3") plus another sandwich length of 200mm x 50mm (8" x 2")

Would that work?

Also... I'm using Timber to Timber Joist Hanger - 47 x 272mm as existing are 9"x2"..... is the cutting in a simple enough job that I don't need a chippy (a couple of handymen and two steelfixers will be on site)???

Any views gladly welcome!!!

Several ways of adding blocks to beams,  if filling completely then I like to bolt (threaded rod) straight through timber/steel/timber and sandwich the lot together especially if using joist hangers. If it’s only trim them small blocks wedged in place is fine.

47 minutes ago, Goody69 said:

This is simple I'm sure but I cannot get straight in my head the timber sizes I need to block out some UB's so jiffy hangers can then be used to take existing joists (and new rafters to the outside).

I've had two 254x254x89UB's spec'd up by Engineer, one a beast at 6.10M long; plus a 203x133x25 internally.

These are being fitted Friday so I need them blocked out that morning.

I'm thinking:

203x133x25  = 175mm x 75mm (7" x 3") 

254x254x89  = 200mm x 75mm (8" x 3") plus another sandwich length of 200mm x 50mm (8" x 2")

Would that work?

Also... I'm using Timber to Timber Joist Hanger - 47 x 272mm as existing are 9"x2"..... is the cutting in a simple enough job that I don't need a chippy (a couple of handymen and two steelfixers will be on site)???

Any views gladly welcome!!!

This is all I did 

Staggered bolted every 600 Finish the timber flush by either planing or add a piece of ply 

8606BF9E-8B7E-408B-9F51-D93CC8F5D1E8.jpeg

Don’t forget that Universal Beams are not truly square inside so your inner flange dimension and outer dimension are different which can cause problems when blocking out. 

3 hours ago, Goody69 said:

That is a monster - are you sure that’s the right dimensions..??

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Don’t forget that Universal Beams are not truly square inside so your inner flange dimension and outer dimension are different which can cause problems when blocking out. 

That is a monster - are you sure that’s the right dimensions..??

Yep - its a 6110mm clear span for one across back of house which then is cleated to one same size which is the beam to the goalpost holding side of house up.

I was looking for guidance on the blocking out timber section sizes.

Using ply packer is a shout so thanks for that Nod

Been told using the jiffy hangers is the simplest way to go........ more I think about it more I may do another begging text message to my chippie to come along Friday morning!!!!

Ok so that’s going to be fun to lift then !!

If you’re adding rafters externally I assume then you’re using either taper insulation or firrings to give you a slope ..?

With a 254 I would get the steel erectors to put the bottom flange flush with the finished joist level and as @Mr Punter said notch out the 15mm and sit the  joists and rafters on the bottom flange on the assumption the SEng says it’s ok. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/10/2022 at 12:08, Mr Punter said:

It is sometimes simpler to shape the ends of the joists so they can just sit on the lower flange of the beam, rather than using hangers.  Fill in the gaps between to joists to stop them moving or twisting.

+1 for this option , especially for the 254mm beam

On 27/10/2022 at 07:12, Dave Jones said:

check the SE doesnt want the hangers shot fired into the top as well as this is normal practice.

We used hangers with tails long enough to go over the top and down the other side. Regular nailed to the blocking both sides.

Edited by Temp